What Style Is This?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerspitnight

Reaction score
Gents,
We are ready to keg this ale (Liam Celebration Ale 2012 - for my son's 1st birthday) and I am putting together a simple label. I would like to indicate the style of the beer, but I am unsure as to what it is.

Grain Bill:
17.6# of Pale Malt
1# of Carared
1# of Carapils

Hops:
All Cascades @ 5.3%
1oz @ 60
1oz @ 20
2oz @ 10
4oz @ FO

Total IBUs = 24

Dry Hop:
2oz for 4 days of Cascades

Yeast:
S-04

OG - 1.061
FG - not sure yet, although I would suspect somewhere around 1.015 or there abouts.

I originally thought it would be an IPA, although the IBUs are a bit low. Then I was thinking it might be an English PA, but with the hop aroma, I am unsure.
Any thoughts?

remthewanderer said:
You have a son named Liam who is turning 1? My son named Liam turned 1 a few weeks ago...

Hit send too soon. The ibu level definitely puts this in the pale ale category. I like your recipie.

Thanks, Wail - wasn't sure if it fit the style due to the added hop aroma!
Rem - it's a good time, isn't it!

My favorite pale ales have HUGE hop aroma. I like my APA's hopped like IPA's. And the lower alcohol makes them nice sessionable beers.

But your ABV should be aroud 6%. and this beer has 10 ounces of hops in it! I know the fo additions and dryhop dont contribute to IBU's but with 10 ounces hops.. i still think this is an IPA :cross:

My favorite pale ales have HUGE hop aroma. I like my APA's hopped like IPA's. And the lower alcohol makes them nice sessionable beers.

But your ABV should be aroud 6%. and this beer has 10 ounces of hops in it! I know the fo additions and dryhop dont contribute to IBU's but with 10 ounces hops.. i still think this is an IPA :cross:

We were actually shooting for an ABV of 5%, but got great efficiency, so there you go!
I don't really care what style it is, just wanted an idea of what it is!
We made this beer last year but we used 9kg of Pale malt instead of 8 and ended up with an OG of 1.065 We also had a different selection of hops and hop schedule.
2011 Liam Celebration Ale:
18.6# of Pale Malt
1# of carared
1# of carapils

Hops: (30g = a bit more than 1 oz)
30g Whole Cascade @ 60
30g of qingdao flower @ 40
30g of qingdao flower @ 20
40g of qingdao flower @ 1
30g of whole cascade & 10g of qingdao flower @ FO

Dry Hopped with 3g of whole cascade

S-04

ABV = 6.8

(sorry for the g and oz mix'n'match)
We considered last year's batch an IPA for sure!

Thanks for the feedback - I'll post the label in a bit, once I am done with it.

Liam_Celebration_Ale_12_Dark.jpg

with the Cascades I would've called it an American Pale Ale, even with the English yeast. Though I guess it really depends on how it tastes.

with the Cascades I would've called it an American Pale Ale, even with the English yeast. Though I guess it really depends on how it tastes.

Lem, I was going off of the yeast in calling it an EPA, but yes, with all those American hops and hop aroma, I think I should call it an APA. Thanks!

Gents-
Just a quick update. We kegged this beer last night after 2 and a half weeks in fermentation. Ended up with a gravity of 1.013, which was a bit lower than we expected. The beer really nice, and I would venture to say that it is the best brew we have made thus far. There is a small bite of bitter in the background, and then full-on hop aroma, full of citrus/grapefruit. I am very happy with this beer. And since today is the boy's birthday, it is perfectly timed to be drank in celebration (albeit without much carbonation!)
Thanks for all the insight on the style - it is most definitely an American Pale Ale (almost IPA...)
Cheers!

Back