What style is Hobgoblin?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Northern English Brown, I believe.

That caps out at 1.052 and if Orfy's clone is close in OG (1.056), I think it would have to fall under "Specialty Beer" since it seems to be off in at least 1 parameter on any other style. I believe Wychwood calls it an English Dark Ale.

I've not looked closely at the brew, and i'm not familiar with it, but Wychwood Brewery is in southern England. It's very unlikely it would be a northern style. Breweries there can be quite defensive about their locales and styles.

That caps out at 1.052 and if Orfy's clone is close in OG (1.056), I think it would have to fall under "Specialty Beer" since it seems to be off in at least 1 parameter on any other style. I believe Wychwood calls it an English Dark Ale.

The BJCP lists Hobgoblin as a commercial example of a NEBA, FWIW.

Those are just "suggested" guidelines. I have entered a 1.072 American Brown (12 points over their suggestion of the max of 1.060) with 66 theoretical IBUs (26 over their cap of 40) that placed first.

According to the BJCP style guidelines, HobGoblin is a Northern English Brown Ale, which answers the question that was asked.

What you should call it if you are speaking to Wychwood is a different question.

According to the BJCP style guidelines, HobGoblin is a Northern English Brown Ale, which answers the question that was asked.

What you should call it if you are speaking to Wychwood is a different question.

BJCP ruling is not the end of the conversation. It's jus their opinion. Did they invent the style? ;)

No, it is the end of the conversation when the question asks what the BJCP guidelines calls it. :)

Keyword there is GUIDELINES. I rest my case. It's a bit like the American Kennel Club defining what a German shepherd is. It's the American version of the beast.

having said all that, I have no idea what the heck Hobgoblin is, i never had it! :)

Right it's guidelines, but the OP asked "waht does the BJCP define the beer as?" Well the BJCP Defines this beer as 11-C Northern English Brown Ale. That is the answer to the question.
It's not the definitivie answer if the question was "What is the style of Hobgoblin?" but that wasn't the question. You can't logically argue that!

alrighty then =) I made a batch and I need something for a brew competition that is coming up. I wanted to submit it into the right category.

Thank you everyone for your input.

Keyword there is GUIDELINES. I rest my case. It's a bit like the American Kennel Club defining what a German shepherd is. It's the American version of the beast.

having said all that, I have no idea what the heck Hobgoblin is, i never had it! :)

If you don't know what hobgoblin is your missing out on a great beer my friend. You should make the recipe.

alrighty then =) I made a batch and I need something for a brew competition that is coming up. I wanted to submit it into the right category.

Thank you everyone for your input.

Competition? in that case, it's a Northern English Brown Ale!! :D

Right it's guidelines, but the OP asked "waht does the BJCP define the beer as?" Well the BJCP Defines this beer as 11-C Northern English Brown Ale. That is the answer to the question.
It's not the definitivie answer if the question was "What is the style of Hobgoblin?" but that wasn't the question. You can't logically argue that!

Well, yeah.....but your just being a smartass 'cos you are right and all that. Don't you make allowances for me being druck? WTF! :fro:

EDit, I still maintain that anyone in Oxfordshire would beat nine colours of **** out of anyone suggesting their pint was a northern thing. You just gotta trust me on tha one. ;)

I think what's causing all this jacked-up-ed-ness is that BJCP is wrong about Hobgoblin. Don't let them tear us apart!:cross:

Well, yeah.....but your just being a smartass 'cos you are right and all that. Don't you make allowances for me being druck? WTF! :fro:

EDit, I still maintain that anyone in Oxfordshire would beat nine colours of **** out of anyone suggesting their pint was a northern thing. You just gotta trust me on tha one. ;)

I just stick to my guns when I am right because it doesn't happen very often, and I'll be damned if an elf (OH NO!) will take my bi-annual correct thought away from me. :D
And I don't doubt that that you'd ahve a good chance ending up with a bloddy skull calling it the wrong thing in the wrong area.

Latest posts

Back