What strange thing have you carbonated?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JINKS

Fermentator Extrordinaire
Reaction score
Today my regulator and carbonater cap came via UPS. I won't be getting around to kegging my barley-wine until this weekend so out of sheer scientific interest I decided to start carbonating strange things.
Tonights experiment is 2% milk. I put it in at about 7 lbs co2 at 40 degrees in a diet coke plastic 20 oz bottle. It's in the refrigerator now and I will squeeze test the bottle tomorrow to see if it needs another burst of co2.

Next on the list is straight orange juice and probably straight apple juice.
If the milk is interesting then chocolate milk is definitely going on the list.

Way back when I loaded a corney full of apples and smaller oranges a few days before a bbq. The parents thought it was neat, but the kids went nuts. If you want to do it quickly peel the fruit. The great part is, the fruit will look as fresh as the moment it did when you hit it with the co2.

Won't this separate the milk? Dissolving carbon dioxide gives you carbonic acid. It will be like adding lemon juice or vinegar to milk. Suppose you could make cheese though. I'm interested to hear what happens.

Way back when I loaded a corney full of apples and smaller oranges a few days before a bbq. The parents thought it was neat, but the kids went nuts. If you want to do it quickly peel the fruit. The great part is, the fruit will look as fresh as the moment it did when you hit it with the co2.

The purpose is to carbonate the juice while it is still in the fruit? How does this change the experience of eating the fruit? What PSI did you use?

Yes, technically you can carbonate anything with water in it. My basic rule of thumb for fruit was 60 for 60. It's an odd sensation, like tingly fruit or something. Just looked around on the interwebs, grapes will pop apperantly due to their thin skin. Never did any so?

Last edited:
Didn't separate the milk sofar. Still looks creamy good while under pressure tomorrow morning at work is the taste test. I have a guinea p-- Uh, friend who is willing to try it to see what it tastes like with me. Next on the list is pure undiluted orange juice.

I've done OJ. It's good. But if you use pulped it will foam like a ***** when you pour.

Thats good to know because un-carbonated I like OJ with pulp. Will have to go buy pulpless.

So the guinea p--, uh friend and I tested this experiment this morning at work. Fizzy creamy goodness. No chunkiness or anything as the milk didn't break down at all. The only thing I didn't like was the sourish seltzer water flavor which I attribute to flavor of the carbonic acid.

It was interesting enough that I now have Chocolate Milk in the fridge at 17 psi having had the straight 2% milk at about 8 psi. Gonna try for more fizz.

Should have tasting results on Saturday evening.

Chocolate milk was a rousing success with 6 out of 6 stating that it was delicious.
I felt like it made the chocolate milk feel way creamier, so much so that as I was tasting it, I was thinking I had to thin it down a little bit for next time.

Currently carbonating now is Apple Pie. The kind made with apple juice, cinnamon, clove, nutmeg, and ever-clear, except my recipe also has vanilla vodka too.

I used to make soda- ginger and and root beer mostly- when my kids were home.

I've carbonated kool-aid for them also in the past.

Now, I just carbonate water for my gin & tonics, but my grandson loves kiddie cocktails with my "fizzy water", some maraschino cherries and a bit of the cherry juice with a squeeze of lemon.

Rum Swizzles!!!, for my wife. A big hit at the party!
Even some beer enthusiasts partook.

Rum Swizzle, a Bermuda favorite!
just about equal parts black rum, white rum, orange juice, pineapple juice, some ginger, grenedine, etc. An island drink. We cut the rum in half for partys. When it's on tap, it'll getya sloshed really quick.

THIS IS THE REDUCED RUM RECIPE FOR THE PARTY KEG.
32 oz Gosling's Black Seal Rum
32 oz Gosling's Gold Rum
64oz Orange Juice
64 oz Pineapple Juice
5 oz grenadine
0.5 oz (30 dashes) Angostura Bitters
We add ginger as well, used ginger beer before we got the kegs.

THIS IS THE REDUCED RUM RECIPE FOR THE PARTY KEG.
32 oz Gosling's Black Seal Rum
32 oz Gosling's Gold Rum
64oz Orange Juice
64 oz Pineapple Juice
5 oz grenadine
0.5 oz (30 dashes) Angostura Bitters
We add ginger as well, used ginger beer before we got the kegs.

Looks delicious!

Awesome thread. Carbonated chocolate milk? Sounds horrible, but I'm intrigued anyway.

I've carbonated apple juice/apple cider a few times. It's a good soda substitute.

Awesome thread. Carbonated chocolate milk? Sounds horrible, but I'm intrigued anyway.

I've carbonated apple juice/apple cider a few times. It's a good soda substitute.

If ya do get tempted to carbonate chocolate milk do 2% or Skim chocolate as the whole milk chocolate was a little thick feeling.

I have home made carb caps I put on 2 liter soda bottles to mess around with. They are a drilled cap with a tire-valve-stem in them.

If it's got water, it will carbonate. I want to try unsweatened iced tea. I'm thinking it will be good.

I have home made carb caps I put on 2 liter soda bottles to mess around with. They are a drilled cap with a tire-valve-stem in them.

If it's got water, it will carbonate. I want to try unsweatened iced tea. I'm thinking it will be good.

It will be interesting bitter from the tea and bitter from the carbonic acid.

Will two bitters cancel out and make a sweet? :D

It will be interesting bitter from the tea and bitter from the carbonic acid.

Will two bitters cancel out and make a sweet? :D

I like the tea unsweetened. I love carbonation. Hopefully the two will make a near zero calorie drink I can like too..

I like the tea unsweetened. I love carbonation. Hopefully the two will make a near zero calorie drink I can like too..

I don't see why not, somewhere in the future Raspberry peace tea is getting carbonated by me.

My real problem is I have created a monster in myself, I need more carbonating caps so I can run several simultaneous experiments.
There are way to many things I want to try to carbonate now.

i brought some carbonated water to work that was dry hopped with Columbus hops.
It was just water but people found it interesting.

Less weird I carb'd some Organic Lemonade that was in the fridge last night,. The whole family tried it.

I carbonated box wine once to make the worst champagne ever,

I don't see why not, somewhere in the future Raspberry peace tea is getting carbonated by me.

My real problem is I have created a monster in myself, I need more carbonating caps so I can run several simultaneous experiments.
There are way to many things I want to try to carbonate now.

Look here for idea:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/rubber-needle-valve-carbonator-cap-326709/

I've done this. Works great. Squish air out, put co2 in, shake, put in more co2, shake repeat, let sit a bit, drink.

That DIY Tryin video is why I bought a carbonator cap. I also put the same pneumatic tool quick chuck disconnect on my CO2 regulator.

That DIY Tryin video is why I bought a carbonator cap. I also put the same pneumatic tool quick chuck disconnect on my CO2 regulator.

I already use a jumper line and this:

1 female and 2 males: one male for my keg and one for my beergun.

2546.jpg

Life keeps getting in the way of my drinking so I haven't gotten to the carbonated Apple Pie yet. Looks like the weekend after Christmas, I will get to it, and then on to carbonate other strange and wonderful things. I'm working out in my head a plan to carbonate jello also.

Back