What size Mash tun do I need?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

G-E-R-M-A-N

Reaction score
I am wanting to end up with 5 gallons to ferment, and curious about getting into mashing. What is the optimum size tun for me to get? I know I can convert a cooler (5gal or 10gal).

Also why would you use a smaller cooler to mash, as I have seen on here(the really little coolers for partial)? In other words how would you go about fermenting a small from one of those? I understand, to do a smalller batch, but is this just to experiment on a smaller scale?

Get a 10, you'll never regret it. 5 works but doesn't let you do really BIG beers or to ever upgrade to 10 gallon batches.

Decide if you want to batch or fly sparge. If you want to fly, you need a round cooler (more $$). If you want to batch, the 36-qt Coleman Xtreme works very well and is uber-easy to convert.

the_bird said:
If you want to batch, the 36-qt Coleman Xtreme works very well and is uber-easy to convert.

Seconded. A fantastic cooler for use as a mash tun.

the_bird said:
Get a 10, you'll never regret it. 5 works but doesn't let you do really BIG beers or to ever upgrade to 10 gallon batches.

Decide if you want to batch or fly sparge. If you want to fly, you need a round cooler (more $$). If you want to batch, the 36-qt Coleman Xtreme works very well and is uber-easy to convert.
I've been using a 5 gallon Rubbermaid and defending its virtues.

I must concur with Bird though. I'm going to go to 10-gallon batches as soon as I figure out how to cut the top off my newly acquired keg.

10 Gallon round Rubbermaids are $39 at Home Depot.

the_bird said:

What he said... I built one out of a 5gal and it's a real PITA sometimes. Adjusting the temps is a real PITA if it's off when it's full to the brim.

5 galls work fine for the HLT though :)

Sephro said:
What he said... I built one out of a 5gal and it's a real PITA sometimes. Adjusting the temps is a real PITA if it's off when it's full to the brim.

5 galls work fine for the HLT though :)

I've been preaching this gospel for so long now and no one ever seems to listen. Buy 'em books, send 'em to school, and they just eat the books.:cross:

Oh, and get a big one for the HLT, too, unless you feel like filling it two or three times for your big beers.

Hey... get the 10 gallon. I built and used with great success a 5 gallon cooler system, BUT it does fill up, you are extremely limited if you even want to do a 2 step infusion mash... in the fall when you want to brew a pumpkin ale, there is NO way. DO the 10 gallon, be set for life, you will not regret it. It may be a little more $$... but if you get the 5 gallon, then get a 10 gallon, you will spend ALOT more. You are in the right place and asking the right questions. Look here at a 10 gallon setup that I just completed....

http://s168.photobucket.com/albums/u189/PolTavern/

Pol

Pardon the ignorance, but what is a HLT compared to a mashtun? I know that I will do batchsparging. I am kind of confused how this goes after you put the grain in and keep at whatever low temp you pull out the sugars with (155F right?).

I know that after you do this that you can drain part and pour back into the mash tun repeatedly till it runs clear, but how do you know how much sparge water to add?

I know there is a recommended water to grain ratio, but why wouldnt you add that at first? Is this because of mash tun size limitation?

I am trying to work the kinks out of what I will be doing in the future, and have done some reading, but I think parts of the all grain process im getting mixed up on.

I will go with the 10gal, because I will be wanting to possibly build on my setup in the future.

Right now I have a :

40quart stainless with welded valve and temp guage. (not sure on hoppstopper or what right here) (I will be using a pump with a plate chiller)
shirron plate chiller
02 bottle with regulator for aeration
home made stirplate for starters.
Glass carboys 5 and 6 gal with all misc. brewing hardware
Going to get a pump
Going to get a 10 gal mash tun with all necessary fittings

G-E-R-M-A-N said:
Pardon the ignorance, but what is a HLT compared to a mashtun?

If you can get 10 gallon coolers that would be great, allows for you to grow anytime. The top cooler is my HLT, keeps my sparge water about 170 degrees. I typically use about 1/2 gallon of sparge water for every pound of grain. It holds the water that showers and rinses the grain held in the middle mashtun, which holds your grain bill. From there I run the wort into very bottom brew kettle.

1429-brewery.JPG

Back