What size mash tun and brew kettle do I get?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewmax25

Reaction score
So I am going to get myself a Christmas present and step up to all grain. Ive decided on a cooler mash tun and a new stainless kettle. I want to do anywhere from 5-10 gallon batches but most likely 5 and 7 gallon batches. I like brewing big beers.

What size mash tun and brew kettle do I need?

If you think it's at all possible you might be doing 10 gal batches, you should get a 15 gal kettle. Repurposed kegs work well, I'm sure you can find a thread for converting one. Look for the term "keggle."

As for mash tun, you'd be ok with a 10 gal cooler but a 15 gal cooler would be safer. I'm using a 10 gal mash run for 5 gal batches. I've got plenty of room but I'm using slightly more than half the space.

I'm getting 6.5-7 gallons into fermenter right now. I'm using a 10 gallon kettle (BoilerMaker) and 1/2bbl keg mash tun. The keg mash tun, as I have it configured (false bottom) can safely hold about 29-31# of grain (30-31# would probably be the max.)... I had almost 29# in it this past weekend and can't see putting more than about 31# in it without spilling as I stir.

Figure out how often you'll actually be brewing 10 gallon batches. If you're really looking to get a full 5 gallons into keg/bottle then you'll be fine with a 10-15 gallon kettle as well as ~15 gallon mash tun. If you plan on getting 10 gallons into keg/bottle, then you'll want a larger mash tun (a 15 gallon kettle would work there). I would simply make sure the kettle was setup so that you can use the sight tube and thermometer for smaller batches. Same thing for the mash tun (depending on how you go).

Personally, when I migrate to 10-12 gallons into fermenter, I'll probably need a full barrel mash tun (30-31 gallons). I'll retain my current kettle and mash tun so that it's easier to make smaller batches when I wish.

Doing more than 5G requires substantially different equipment (IE more expensive except perhaps the keggie), much more dedicated space and quite a lot more planning. I would seriously consider starting out at 5G batches and adding equipment as you see fit.

Personally my favorite items are the grain mill, immersion cooler, stir plate, and immersion cooler. You should have a ton of equipment before attempting a 10G batch. The starters need to be twice as big if not bigger, the weight of the pot is too heavy to lift 12G at 7lb per gallon is about what... 84lb, you need to plan a tired system to avoid moving stuff once it's filled up, several propain burners since you don't have an insulated MLT and you need to heat up water.... really this is a ton of equipment and space.

I would get a nice large pot, I love my 42qt and I would go with SS instead of aluminum. If you upgrade, you can still use this for things like heating up water instead of a kettle. I would get a round cooler with a braid and eventually upgrade to a manifold. You NEED a cooling system, either immersion or hop back or chilling plates. You should get a stir plate and a nice grain mill (rollers which are adjustable). Both will be used when you upgrade to 10G so there is no money wasted.

Also start out small with all grain, get the process down well and read. You are getting into something that is wonderful but you should know why stuff happens and what makes stuff work, reading books is the only way to do that. The forums take you so far.

You should make the switch to AG though, it's cheaper and you get much better beer but start out with 5G and simple beers like IPAs, porters, stouts, single infusion beers.

The immersion chiller, nice pot, grain mill and stir plate will run quite a lot of money... like about 600$. All of these can be used in larger batches of beer. Honestly I have been doing this for about 5 years now and I have never had a problem with 5G batches, I don't split it with friends but showing up with a case of beer is awesome, esp when it costs about 12$ to make it.

Back