What size Kegmenter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RePete

Reaction score
I have all but decided to buy a Kegmenter, and was looking at the 7.6 gallon size. I brew 5 gallon batches now. Then I started thinking about just getting the 13 gallon size, in case I ever want to bump up. It’s only $20 more. I wouldn’t have a need for now. But seeing that you can add the heating element, I could step up to 10 gallons batches in the future for minimal expense. My question is whether there is a reason not to ferment 5-6 gallon batches in the larger Kegmenter for the time being? It will still ferment under pressure, right? Just with more head space?

WTF is Kegmenter? Oh, I had to search it up... If you even think you might do larger batches, go ahead and get the bigger fermentor. $20.00 is easily justified for that. You wont be penalized for fermenting smaller batches it it.

That’s my thought. As long as it will still fit in the fridge. I may want to serve out of it.

I currently mash, and boil, with a 35L Robobrew. 5-6gallon batches. I would probably only do bigger batches if I could convert the Kegmenter into a boiler with a heating element. Which they sell to fit. Do people ferment in the keg after boiling? Cooling the wort would be a problem, with only a 4” hole. Couldn’t fit my immersion cooling coil, and would have to either let it cool overnight or pump the wort out and back? Now I’m talking myself out of this. It would give me options down the road I guess.

Yeah. That’s an idea. It would be an additional purchase. But down the road.

I’m not worried about the extra $20. It’s whether the extra size would somehow be a problem, or a pain to deal with. More O2? Would take more CO2 to carbonate? Wouldn’t fit in the fridge? I measured, and the 23” would barely fit under the shelf in my fridge. If fermenting under pressure, that takes care of the more CO2 question, right?
What’s fun and frustrating about brewing is that there always all these things to think about. One decision affects another.

I haven’t bought anything yet. Now I find that there are Torpedo kegs which would seem to serve a similar function. They come in 10 gallon and 15 gallon size. I’m also considering a Fermzilla. Which would give some extra functionality. Too many choices.

I got the 7.9gallon and it fits in my side by side by about 1/4"...
Fairly heavy...not sure if you intend to move when full or not.

That’s a good point. What I have is a standard vertical fridge, with the freezer on top. I move Corny kegs in and out of it. Right now I’m leaning towards just getting the small Kegmenter. Wouldn’t want anything too big and heavy.

It’s an old refrigerator/freezer. I won it on a game show in 1986. Still runs. It’s kind of funny because I was in grad school near LA, and didn’t know what to do with it. They would ship it anywhere in the US, so I sent it to my parents back in Ohio. It sat in a box for a few years until I moved back.

I went with the smaller Kegmenter and have my first batch in it as of yesterday. As @bkboiler noted, it is a bit heavy with 5G of wort. I am reasonably strong so it is okay for me, but the added weight of the larger one might make it a bit hard to move around depending on where you end up putting it. I sometimes have lower back issues, and if it were in a top load chest freezer for a fermentation chamber or something like that, I would have to reconsider it. I built my FC as a side load so I am not bending over the sides to load it. Even still, it was a bit awkward to load it in.

Curious: did you build a stand or way to set it on the floor of your fridge or is it on a shelf?
My fridge has pretty beefy looking shelves, but even then I'm a bit nervous of breaking them...

But seeing that you can add the heating element, I could step up to 10 gallons batches in the future for minimal investment
I would probably only do bigger batches if I could convert the Kegmenter into a boiler with a heating element.
How would you add a heating element? I’ve considered getting a 1/2 BBL yeast brink so I could have the 4” TC top port AND a 1.5” TC port at the base. Base price is similar but it costs more to add the 4” ball lock cap separately.
My question is whether there is a reason not to ferment 5-6 gallon batches in the larger Kegmenter for the time being? It will still ferment under pressure, right? Just with more head space?
It works quite well!
32AF50B2-BE19-4F41-913E-F41297740C14.jpeg

Cooling the wort would be a problem, with only a 4” hole. Couldn’t fit my immersion cooling coil, and would have to either let it cool overnight or pump the wort out and back?
Cooling overnight works great for recipes without late addition hops (and there are also ways to adjust late addition hops for no chill).
Or there’s the temp twister. One of Spike’s temperature control coils should also work well but I haven’t checked what length would be best.
It’s whether the extra size would somehow be a problem, or a pain to deal with. More O2? Would take more CO2 to carbonate? Wouldn’t fit in the fridge? I measured, and the 23” would barely fit under the shelf in my fridge. If fermenting under pressure, that takes care of the more CO2 question, right?
I’ve considered getting a 7 gallon kegmenter just because it would be less bulky to clean. However, even the full sized one is much easier to clean than a carboy.
More O2? Once I saw the calculations on how effectively fermentation can purge a keg (or even two) I stopped worrying about fermenter headspace.
Fitting in the fridge? How are you planning to ferment under pressure if you can barely fit the fermenter as is? Is there a really low profile spunding valve I’m not aware of? (Although it’s my understanding that fermenting under pressure makes temperature control less important- that picture is W-34/70 under ~14 PSI at ~68 F. I haven’t kegged it yet to see how it worked).
More CO2? For me, yes. This is the first time I’ve tried fermenting under pressure and I didn’t go all the way up to the ~30 PSI needed for full carbonation at room temperature. If you’re also force carbonating to some degree, you will have an extra ~6-8 gallons (depending on whether you choose the 13 or 15 gallon) of space to pressurize while dispensing the keg. It’s not much extra CO2, but it is some.

I brew mostly 5 gallon batches with occasional 10 gallon batches. I have two full sized kegmenters and am considering adding a 7 gallon one, but there’s a good chance I’ll add a third full sized one instead :p

Thanks for your replies. I wasn’t considering putting the Kegmenter into the fridge during fermentation. I have a basement which stays fairly cool. I leave carboys there to ferment. I only use the fridge to cool kegs prior to drinking. Or to carbonate. I cool it overnight, then pull it out and turn on the CO2.

As ChiknNutz posted, there is a heating element is offered on the Williams website. The Kegland video goes into some detail about it. It wouldn’t be an immediate plan. But I was just trying to think ahead, in case I ever wanted to move to 10 gallon batches.

I went with the smaller Kegmenter and have my first batch in it as of yesterday. As @bkboiler noted, it is a bit heavy with 5G of wort. I am reasonably strong so it is okay for me, but the added weight of the larger one might make it a bit hard to move around depending on where you end up putting it. I sometimes have lower back issues, and if it were in a top load chest freezer for a fermentation chamber or something like that, I would have to reconsider it. I built my FC as a side load so I am not bending over the sides to load it. Even still, it was a bit awkward to load it in.
Are you fermenting under pressure? Buy a spunding valve? Let me know how it goes.

any more info on cooling coil? I got the 13.2 size Kegmenter. trying to figure out if I can get a Spike temp control in there because the temp twister really doesn't work w/o a lot of hands on to twist it in there. most of the coils are way too long.

Back