What size hole for shanks?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shorebrew77

Reaction score
I'm currently building a upright keezer and want to drill the holes in the door for taps that I will eventually buy. My plan is to use picinic taps through the holes and insulate with foam until I save enough money to buy Perlick taps and SS shanks. I've read of people using both 7/8" and 1" hole saw bits to make the holes. Can someone tell me which be correct for the shanks.

7/8" for me and it was a real nice fit. Not snug like I had to force the shank through, just no real signs of gaps.

Drill 7/8" holes when you have shanks & taps.
If you are using picnic taps, just have them laying on top of the kegs, don't try to get fancy passing them through a hole.

So is/was the standard 1'' inch hole NOT the norm anymore?
I was reading 1 inch IS the size..!
is that 1/8" extra size too large an opening.?

I'm using 4" Perlick 525's...if that even matters

There's a nice snug fit, and then there's everything else.

A perfect 7/8" hole would result in a press-fit for most shanks, especially over-chromed shanks. 1" will provide a scant 1/16" of wiggle in each direction from center, probably tolerable by most, but I'd cut the 7/8" and if needed rasp it out just a scoche...

Cheers!

Back