What size flask and stir bar?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have that plate ... I use 2000 mL flasks and one-inch bars. I think you could definitely fit a 3000 mL flask on it.

I just use a 1000ml and 1 inch bar and everything goes just fine, but I only do ten gallons at a time.

If you're planning on beers bigger than 1.070 then I would get a 3000L flask. Most of my starters blow out the top with my 2000L flask.

I'm going to buy a second 2000L flask to make it easier to do 10 gallon batches. That way I can do a separate starter for each 5 gallon fermenter.

If you're planning on beers bigger than 1.070 then I would get a 3000L flask. Most of my starters blow out the top with my 2000L flask.

I'm going to buy a second 2000L flask to make it easier to do 10 gallon batches. That way I can do a separate starter for each 5 gallon fermenter.

Thanks. Any thoughts on the size of the stir bar?

I use 1 inch in the 2L flask. Should work for the 3L as well....you just need a slight whirlpool going. Maybe someone with a 3L flash will chime in.

chumpsteak said:
I use 1 inch in the 2L flask. Should work for the 3L as well....you just need a slight whirlpool going. Maybe someone with a 3L flash will chime in.

Ok I'm assuming it comes with the 1" so I'll just start with that. Do you have this stir plate? Thoughts on it?

i second the 3L option. My little stirplate (computer fan type) would continually throw a 2" bar, the 1" does just fine. Plenty of action with it.

I have 2 laboratory style stir plates, 1 1/2 inch stir bars and 2000ml Erlenmeyer flasks and the only thing I would change would be larger flasks, 3000ml sounds like a good size.

Actually a 4L or gallon jug is nice for making 2L of Belgian starters, those thing have a krausen that won't quit. Fermcap S is an alternative for krausen minimization when using smaller flasks.

Is that a joke?

Here is a start beer, 800ml spilt into the two different carboys, with a brix of 12.8, hoping it finishes around 6 brix.

1000ml- 1 inch bar for 24hrs, but the real factor is how much yeast you put into the flask to begin with and how good you are at washing yeast. As I sure you already know.

DSCF0345.jpg

420754_1919534365004_1741400140_933818_499783962_n.jpg

Purchasing this stir plate from MoreBeer http://morebeer.com/view_product/19911//Hanna_Magnetic_Stir_Plate

I was wondering what size flask and stir bar I should purchase to accomidate 5 gallon batches anywhere from 1.060 all the way up to 1.100? So far I'm thinkin a 3000ml flask and possible a 2inch stir bar (I think it only comes with a 1in)

Thoughts?

I would recommend buying a Stirstarter instead. It comes with one (1"5/16") stir bar. I use a 4L flask on this with no problem. As the note on the Morebeer stir plate says you are paying $50 for "quality feel". Plus Stirstarter has Free Shipping

Back