What size cork?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TomRep

Reaction score
Getting ready to do my first wine. Did many beer batches with no real issues. I'm looking at getting Green Bordeaux bottles from Label Peelers (no longer into scraping labels and the such) and can't for the life of me figure out what size cork I need for these bottles. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

If you have a floor corker, like a Portuguese corker, I'd get #9 for all bottles. It'll push them in like buttah.

If you have one of those hand corker things, you might need to get #8's.

I'll say, if you're getting into wine making, consider the Portuguese floor corker.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the replies! As of now, I have the capper/corker below. I got this to use on Belgian bottles, but never even used it yet. Id rather not buy a new corker yet as I'm not sure if I will be getting into wine full time yet. However, that is certainly cheap enough and if it works as you say, I may bite the bullet. I'm assuming the bigger the cork, the tighter the seal is and the better long term storage the wine will have?
Tom

capper.jpg

The Colona works pretty good. I put a dime on top of the cork otherwise the plunger or whatever the attachment is called can make a deep indentation in the cork. You can do Belgian beer with it too, just have to set the bottle lower than for wine of course.

Back