What size cooler for HLT?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gabrew

Reaction score
Hey everyone

I`ve just finished my MLT using a 5gal igloo upright cooler with copper manifold. As for my kettle, i'll most probably be using a keggle. All thats is left is my HLT, i was thinking of using a cooler with an added ball valve and thermometer to help better control temperature without using a source of heating.

So what size cooler do you guys suggest to complete my (basic) setup. Could i use another 5gal cooler or is that too small?

Thanks

Gabrew

I used to have (2) 5 gallon coolers, MLT and HLT. The 5 gallon was too small for me... I suggest 10 for both MLT and HLT.

Yeah, 10 gal is good for 5 gal batches. I would do 10 gal for the MLT also or else you could have problems with high gravity batches.

yeah....thing is i`ve been looking for over 2 months for these 10gal coolers but they aren`t available in my area (Montreal)...

yeah....thing is i`ve been looking for over 2 months for these 10gal coolers but they aren`t available in my area (Montreal)...

In some cases, my 5 gallon brews needed more than 5 gallons of sparge water, SO, get a larger HLT than 5 gallons if you can.

Try Home Depot...That's where I got mine. I don't know much about Montreal, but I do know that there's gotta be a Home Depot close by. :p

Back