What size blowoff tube for 6.5 gal carboy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olotti

Reaction score
I'm gonna bypass the tube onto the airlock and just go blowoff tube straight into the carboy. For those that do this What size diameter tube do I need for a 6.5 gal glass carboy??? I've never set one up before so I'm guessing the other end runs into a bucket of Sanitizer??? Thanks for the help

I use:
A piece of 1 3/8 O.D. vinyl , reinforced tubing from Home Depot,( about 2 inches long, to slip into carboy neck), a PVC elbow that will slip over the O.D. of said tubing, and then a longer piece of the same tubing into a small container of sanitizer.
The elbow allows you to route the tubing downward to your container, as it's not real cooperative on the flexible action.

Be advised: once the "stub" piece in the carboy gets all "krausened up", I have to grab it with some pliers and kind of roll it on itself to un-stick it.

Lube the stub piece with sanitizer to fit into the carboy neck, it be a snug fit!

1" ID/1-1/4" OD vinyl is a jamb fit into Italian 6.5g carboys.
I run four footers into a catch jug of plain water, works just peachy.
Just before I cold crash I switch to S-locks...

Cheers!

[edit] 1" tube brush with a four foot stainless "handle" is helpful for getting any crusties, or you can use heavy string to drag a cleaning cloth through...

ab_june_14_2014_09_sm.jpg

Back