What size Better Bottle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChefBrew

Reaction score
I'm considering some Better Bottles. I do 5 gallon batches and I'm not sure if I should order 5 gallon or 6 gallon. Obviously one is a little cheaper than the other, but will 5 gallons of beer do well in a 5 gallon bottle?

Also, with a 5, if you go a little over you will just have to dump it. I always make 5.5 gallons to transfer 5 gallons into a keg.

Get one of each so you can ferment(5 gal), rack to the secondary (6 gal) and start a new batch the same day (5 gal again). Get 'em both, you won't ever look back. fat x nub is right, you will need headspace for the krausen and a 6 gallon carboy allows for that extra room.
-E

You can also secondary in a 6 gal just fine, that little bit of headspace isn't going to hurt anything. I only use 5 gal stuff for Apfelwein

I use the 6 gallon with the spigot for primary and a 6 gallon regular for my 2nd. For the primary the 6 gallon provides just enough room for the krausen while allowing some foam to run out of your airlock.

Since switching to better bottles my glass carboys have been collecting dust.

Back