What Size Auto-Siphon??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisRC1985

Reaction score
Hey all,
I am purchasing an Auto-Siphon this morning from Midwest Brewers.
They have a 1/2 and a 5/16, I am not sure which one to purchase?
I am using a 6 Gal Carboy, will either work, is one preferred and should I get the corresponding siphon clamp?

Thanks!

I'd say the bigger the better, and go for the clamp. Auto-siphons are great, but they take a while, just like most siphons because of the smaller tubing, so the bigger you go, the quicker you can rack, and the clamp will allow you to slow down the flow, or stop in the middle for any reason.

I own both auto-siphons (1/2" and 3/8"). I started with the smaller one, and I got the bigger one when I started brewing all grain to transfer cold wort from kettle to fermenter faster. It works OK for this purpose, and I thought that the bigger one would replace the smaller one for all my transfers, but it is not as easy to use as the small one:
* Since it contains much more liquid, it is heavier and harder to hold straight, without moving or disturbing the beer and the yeast cake in the fermenter.
* It is harder to prime. You really need that first pump move to be quick and strong, otherwise you need to pump again, which will disturb your beer.
* For some reason, a 1/2" tubing does not fit tightly on the 1/2" auto-siphon, which can add some air in the liquid if you don't clamp it somehow. I do not have this issue at all with the 3/8" siphon.

This is why I keep using the small one to transfer fermented beer, where I do not want to disturb or oxydize anything.

So my advice, get the small 3/8" one.

Good advice from someone who owns both. I think I have a 3/8 also. Bigger always sounds better, but you make really good points. Another thing I would suggest is a siphon clip, it will clip the siphon to any glass carboy or bucket and keeps it from moving around too much, and you don't have to sit and hold it the whole time.

Good advice from someone who owns both. I think I have a 3/8 also. Bigger always sounds better, but you make really good points. Another thing I would suggest is a siphon clip, it will clip the siphon to any glass carboy or bucket and keeps it from moving around too much, and you don't have to sit and hold it the whole time.

I tried the cheap plastic clip with the 1/2" siphon. It is useless, as the weight of the tubing full of liquid will make it tip over.

I own both auto-siphons (1/2" and 3/8"). I started with the smaller one, and I got the bigger one when I started brewing all grain to transfer cold wort from kettle to fermenter faster. It works OK for this purpose, and I thought that the bigger one would replace the smaller one for all my transfers, but it is not as easy to use as the small one:
* Since it contains much more liquid, it is heavier and harder to hold straight, without moving or disturbing the beer and the yeast cake in the fermenter.
* It is harder to prime. You really need that first pump move to be quick and strong, otherwise you need to pump again, which will disturb your beer.
* For some reason, a 1/2" tubing does not fit tightly on the 1/2" auto-siphon, which can add some air in the liquid if you don't clamp it somehow. I do not have this issue at all with the 3/8" siphon.

This is why I keep using the small one to transfer fermented beer, where I do not want to disturb or oxydize anything.

So my advice, get the small 3/8" one.

Just wanted to say this is a great post.

I use the 3/8th inch and let me just say the little clip that holds it to carboys/buckets sucks. It forces you to place the tube against the wall of a plastic bucket and in the center of a carboy. I now prefer to just get the siphon started, then lay the siphon like this: I/I Imagine the two I's are the bucket wall and the / is the siphon tube. This allows me to slightly angle my fermenting vessels when racking to allow the yeast/trub to settle to one side and I siphon from the other.

tesilential said:
Just wanted to say this is a great post.

I use the 3/8th inch and let me just say the little clip that holds it to carboys/buckets sucks. It forces you to place the tube against the wall of a plastic bucket and in the center of a carboy. I now prefer to just get the siphon started, then lay the siphon like this: I/I Imagine the two I's are the bucket wall and the / is the siphon tube. This allows me to slightly angle my fermenting vessels when racking to allow the yeast/trub to settle to one side and I siphon from the other.

I personally like the clip and its not like you'd have to use it if you didn't want to. My yeast cake is usually pretty compact, so shifting it and racking from the corner wouldn't always be ideal, but I can see where you're coming from. I just love not having to hold the siphon in place for several minutes. :) to each his own

I "had" both. The 1/2" one like stated above needs at least 1 hose clamp because it's not a snug fit with 1/2" tubing. The smaller 5/16" fits the tubing better and it also fits into a 1 gallon jug for the experimental batches, the 1/2' does not.

I have both and use the 3/8" more. It's obviously slower but I feel there's more control about sucking up yeast or trub. The 1/2" just sucks so fast that it can grab a lot of gunk if you're not careful. Also, the 1/2" didn't fit into one of my carboys, but fit into my other 3.

I recommend the AS clips regardless. For carboys, it stops the AS from falling in an it will clip on the side of buckets.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using HB Talk

A cheap plastic spring clamp (Harbor Freight) and Velcro strap work well in holding the AS. You can buy a monster sized clamp that isn't going to budge.

I have the smaller one, and in my glass carboy its too tight of a fit to tilt it much, so i'd vote smaller also.

At one time, I toyed with the idea of replacing my Fermtech 5/16" autosiphon with the 1/2" model......but now I'm glad I resisted the notion. This thread is a good illustration of "unintended consequences."

Back