What should toasted oatmeal taste like?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonBrew

Reaction score
I'm planning an oatmeal stout brew day this weekend and i'd heard good things about toasting your oats to impart more oat taste to the beer, rather than them simply imparting texture.

I toasted them for about an hour at 300 degrees until they had started to turn a very light golden brown. The smell was pretty intense but not all that pleasant and is actually still present in my kitchen a day later. I've tasted the oats and they are quite pleasant, they taste a lot like unsalted and unsweetened popcorn.

Is this the right character to be looking for?

Cheers

Oats have very neutral flavor and i think you should roast them a lot to get a little more flavor from them in this case you'll get roasted flavor not oat flavor, in a stout i don't think you'll get a noticeable taste of oats as it will get minimized with the bold flavor of high roasted malts it is made from.

Oats have very neutral flavor

I think it's one of those things that some people are quite sensitive to - I often find porridge notes in beers which other people can't taste, and then find that it's been brewed with oats. The current Champion Beer of Britain, Goat's Milk, is one such beer.

It does seem to mature out/fade away to some extent though.

Back