What should my mead look like at this point?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ceedubya

Reaction score
I made my first attempt at a mead on March 15th. I used the basic mead info from FAQ's and used a triple nutrient addition.

I haven't had time to do anything with this, but thought I better see what it was doing, so I could rack it to a carboy (its in a bucket now). So, I take the lid off, and there is a white bubble scum on the top of it, eeeewwwww.

So, anyway I take a reading. The very clear liquid reads very dry, .998.

But, I am worried about this white stuff on the top, is it supposed to still be there? Instead of dumping the sample back in, I decided to taste it:eek:

Now, I know this stuff is as green as it gets, and it shouldn't taste good at this point, but this stuff was like listerine mixed with floor cleaner!

Very sharp and sour tasting.

I plan to rack it anyway (tomorrow) and let it go, but wanted to vent a little as I am in uncharted territory for me here.

Who dumps hydro samples?? ;)

Definitely needs more time. I've only got a couple batches of mead under my belt but, if one thing is for sure it needs time to do it's thing.

Most of mine go for at least 6 months before I even start thinking about messing with them...

I don't know about the white stuff but I would be very surprised if your mead is anything other than just doing it's thing.

As for flavor, you made rocket fuel which is normal for young mead. I don't consider mead worth drinking until it's a year old.

Back