What should I use to top-up my demijohn for Plum wine?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ring Many

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I've been making some plum wine, but there isn't enough of the wine to fill my demijohns:

SoWU5vw.jpg

I don't have a smaller container to put these in. I'd estimate I need around 600-700ml to full these 2 demijohns. .Left demijohn is 1.9 litre, right is 5 litre.

I've been reading about how to top-up.

http://eckraus.com/wine-making-topping-up/

One suggestion is to add a combination of water and vodka, to ensure that the alcohol content isn't diluted. I can't add pure water as I'd estimate it needs at least 450ml of water to top up. Which is recommends only adding 1 pint (568ml) per 5 gallon. As this is only 1 gallon, I need to potentially add vodka.

It also recommends adding a similar wine. I do have some home-brewed California cabernet sauvignon, which is quite a dry, red wine. Haven't had much luck finding suggestions online on what to combine with plum wine.

What do you believe is the best liquid or solution to topping up these 2 demijohns?

Thanks.

You might use some wine to top this up and for the future you should aim to make a slightly larger batch than the amount you intend to bottle... so you begin with 2.25 gallons if you are making 2 gallons or 1.125 gallons if you are making 1 gallon - and that means you use a bucket as your primary fermenter. Your secondary vessels should be filled right up into the neck.

I agree with Stigmond13, this is a perfect time to use sanitized glass marbles/pebbles to take up volume in a container.
Regards, GF.

Back