What should i make?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shonsblktnktp

Reaction score
Ok, was thinking of doing a 1 or 2 gallon batch real quick with what I have around. I have 1.75 lbs of extra light DME, 2.4 oz of Crystal 40L, 1oz each of chinook and centennial, and less then a half oz of simcoe, and a couple packs of EC-1118 and Nottingham. I only have a couple brews (3 or 4) under my belt, so I'm hesitant as to what would actually taste good (can easily match a style using iBrewmaster, but who knows how it will turn out). I have a big Belgian Tripel fermenting right now, Piraat Ale from Clone Brews.

Anyone have any ideas? Or should I wait a few days until I can get to the LHBS and pick up more ingredients for a recipe? Just bored tonight and feel like brewing :)

If you are in that much of a hurry then you can make a decent pale ale using all the extract/grain chinook @ 60, simcoe@ 15 and centennial @0. You will have to look at the alpha percentages to make sure its balanced but theres the potential for a good beer from those ingredients certainly. notty is always nice for a pale ale imo too.

Thanks for the idea. It's not that I'm in a hurry, just feel like brewing. I have 5 small 2 gallon buckets, so I'm all about trying small recipes out. I wanted to shoot for a pale ale or an India pale ale, but being new, wasn't sure about the taste, smell and bitterness of the 3 hops. I'm gonna use your hop schedule idea, but I found another bag of DME ( still trying to organize my own brew area) so I am gonna up the OG to hit an American IPA instead of just the APA.

Again, thanks for the idea!

Not a problem, if you have your alpha acid percentages for the hops then you will be able to calculate your IBUs and match it to the style. If you dont already have it then Beersmith is the most useful tool Ive ever had brewing wise. You can have a free trial and a play around before buying too.

Heres a link to the trial version: Download BeerSmith Recipe Software - Manage your home brewing beer recipes | BeerSmith Home Brewing Software
And an link to some helpful tutorials: [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68t9_lK-4vY]Creating Your First Recipe with BeerSmith 2 - YouTube[/ame]

Back