What should I get?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pommy

Reaction score
Ok so Ive got a few extract batches under my belt now and am enjoying it a lot more then the kits (making and drinking) and was wondering what size pot and element would be best for me. The normal batch size I make will be 23L (6 US Gallons I think that equates to) and I want the option of an easy upgrade to AG when I can find somewhere that sells floating thermometers and I get a bit of practice with it. So... any suggestions? Im at work so had to make that quick, can answer any questions when I get home tonight.

Cheers,
:mug:

I like the look of DeathBrewer's Easy Stovetop All-Grain Brewing and his other tutorials but his set up is only for 5-5.5 US gallons from what I've read on his posts, seems like a waste of 10-20% by downsizing my batches, still theres no reason why I cant, it will just mean 10-20% more brew days :drunk:

I submit that it'll be a short throw till you find 5 gallons too small.

If come to a place where you absolutely can not stand the crap made commercially 5 - 6 gallon batches simply won't work for you.

think about going larger sooner.

Once the kids are on the way and I don't have the time to brew two or three times a week then I will definitely consider larger volumes. But for now I am a young man with a fiancée who enjoys her beer (and more importantly making it) as much as I do. I'm happy with 6 gallon batches and have recently done a few test half size 3 gallon batches and I am looking for a set up that will work on my 8" electric elements on my stove top if possible. So its something easy to set up, that will work well and help me to produce some pretty good beer.

I'm currently looking at a 21L (5.6 gallon) pot with an diameter of 30cm (12") but will I be able to get this or much anything much bigger up to boil on an 8" element? Next step up would be a 32L pot with a 34cm diameter, thats 8.5 gallons and a diameter of 13.4" which may be too big im guessing?

As I'm sure you can all tell, money is a bit of an issue when the cost of a larger element is looking ridiculous from what I have seen.

Back