What should I dry hop with? (Rye Saison)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dawn_kiebawls

Lawncare and Landscaping enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey neighbors,

I've got a Saison just hangin' out in primary now (been in there about 6 weeks) and it needs to get packaged soon. It's a mixed fermentation Rye Saison (65% Pilsner, 25% Rye Malt, 3% Midnight Wheat, 8% Raw Honey) with ~30 IBUs of EKG (1oz 60min 2oz 10min).

I was hoping for some of the honey aroma to come through and for the yeast blend to produce some more citrusy/fruity notes but it's pretty subdued. The original plan was to DH with 1 or 2oz of EKG to play off some of the honey/citrus aromas I wanted to come through but now I'm left scratching my head. It's a good Saison, but I'd like to add some citrus/fruity notes to it that I didn't get from the yeast but don't want this to turn out to be like an 'American Saison'.

I have an oz each of Amarillo, EKG, and Simcoe along with 8oz each of Citra, Galaxy and Mosaic but these are earmarked for 2 batches of NEIPA so I'd prefer not to break into those but will if someone can convince me to :)

I was thinking 1oz EKG and .5oz Amarillo might be interesting but I've never used that combo and don't typically ever dryhop my Saisons.

As always, thank you for any and all help. Cheers!

Styrian Wolf sounds like an interesting hop, but I'd like to find the best option from what I already have. Even though Wolfs description seem like just what I'm looking for 🤔

Latest posts

Back