What should I do with this OLD BEER?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaltySMoOTH

Reaction score
So, I have a 5 gallon batch of an American Wheat Ale sitting in a carboy that i brewed about a year and 4 months ago. My airlock ran dry about 3 months in. Is there anything i can do to somehow salvage this in any way?

Drink that man! Never dump a batch. Drink it up real gewd. I would and have consumed many gallons of questionable brew...not aged like that, but I'd have at it (then again, it turned me into a monster). [emoji48]

As stated earlier, try a same and see if it is any good. If it is, bottle or keg.
If not, well, you know better for next time.

As an outsider looking in though, you said the airlock dried out 13 months ago so that makes it sound like you didn't really care too much about that specific batch anyway, so no big loss if it's bad.

Life is too short to drink bad beer. A wheat beer is not going to age well. Give it a try, but be prepared to dump it and just brew something else.

I'm sorry, but I have to ask......how do you forget about or lose a 5 gallon carboy full of beer for a year and 4 months? Coma? Tour of duty in Afghanistan? Road trip? A really hot girlfriend who you met the day after you brewed the beer and just now dumped you? Amnesia? You left it in the 20th bathroom of your palatial mansion which you hardly ever use? You built a time machine and went 1 year and 4 months into the future? Trapped on Mars?

I'm sorry, but I have to ask......how do you forget about or lose a 5 gallon carboy full of beer for a year and 4 months? Coma? Tour of duty in Afghanistan? Road trip? A really hot girlfriend who you met the day after you brewed the beer and just now dumped you? Amnesia? You left it in the 20th bathroom of your palatial mansion which you hardly ever use? You built a time machine and went 1 year and 4 months into the future? Trapped on Mars?

Best post ever.

I'll add some further speculation: new baby was born the day after brewday and like a week later your wife discovered that you'd procreated with the nanny as well and that her child was also born brewday+7days so she insisted that you move out and take residence with said nanny but much like the horrible and false accusations leveled at Steven Avery in regard to the first and later debunked case he faced toward the beginning of Making a Murderer, her baseless and wrongful declaration of your banishment, 1 year and 4 months later, was rescinded by the wife of old and you accepted her invitation to move back to the house you bought together with your inheritance money only to find that you'd left 5 gallons of precious wort fermenting to what is likely perfection and perhaps comparable to the type of archeological majesty found in the tombs of Egyptian kings?

The 16 month lapse is definitely perplexing. Also perplexing: you're staring at a jug of beer and wondering if it will taste any good, so you.... go to the computer? I feel like it's fairly clear what the best way to find out the taste of something is.

If you don't like it make some vinegar out of it for BBQ sauce, etc.

Back