What should I do with these extra grains?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

britishbloke

Reaction score
Got a few all grain brews under my belt now.

I buy my grains in bulk.
I have:

Muntons Crystal 64.0
Muntons Pale Malt 2.25
Non-Malted Black Barley (Roasted)
Chocolate Malt

And fuggle hops. Although I can always buy more hops. Are there any good recipes which call for most of these ingredients? I'm still in college so I can't spend too much more money on grains.

Any ideas? I;ve looked but can't find many with almost all the ingredients above.:(

Make a stout. Use the pale as your base. Go easy on the Crystal. Use plenty of chocolate and enough roasted barley to get some color and roasted notes.

I'd suggest either a pale ale or a stout.
For the pale ale, you could use 8 - 10 lbs pale male and 1/2 - 1 lb crystal. You could also use small amounts (up to 2 oz) of chocolate malt or even smaller amounts (no more than 1 oz) of roasted barley if you want to add some colour.

For the stout,
7 - 8 lbs pale malt + 1 lb roasted barley makes a good start. I wouldn't use the crystal, but up to 1/2 lb chocolate could be good. 1 lb flaked barley (which you will have to get) works wonders for head retention, and I wouldn't try a stout without it.

Whatever you do, take careful notes. About 30 years ago, I made a stout out of left over ingredients, and failed to take notes. That brew would have put Guinness out of business if I'd been able to replicate it, but I tried many times, and never got close.. :(

Definitely a stout. Fuggles work quite well solo in a stout and you have everything else you need. A full pound of roasted might be a bit much. I'd go 1lb choco and .5lb roasted, then maybe half a pound or so of crystal.

Latest posts

Back