what should I do with my yeast ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TaylorBrewed

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I made a starter 2 days ago and it has been spinning away on the stir plate. My question to you is should I just keep letting in stir or throw it in the fridge? I plan on brewing tomorrow and am worried that having the starter go to long will let the yeast eat away all of the sugars before I pitch into my brew. Or will it be fine just mixing away ? Thanks

I prefer to decant. When it's eaten the sugars,put in the fridge to settle out. Pour off (decant) most of the liquid so you don't thin out your beer by going over recipe volume.

I decant my starters for my lagers, just because of the sheer volume. I can't fit 5.5 gallons of aerated wort, plus 4 liters of starter, in a 6.5 gallon carboy. Plus, my starters are done at room temp, so a lager starter will have some off-flavours. I'll prep it a couple days in advance, then cold-crash and decant.

But for my ales, the starters are done at the same temperature as the main batch. Plus, it's usually only 1 or 1.5 liters, so any minor off flavours will be dilluted away. In this case, I'd rather pitch an actively-fermenting starter and take advantage of the quick start in the main batch than put the yeast to sleep (cold-crash) and decant.

Back