What should I do about this?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikerock

Reaction score
Any ideas guys?

image-2682780455.jpg

Get a blow off on that bad boy right away!
You can just take off the top and loose piece of the airlock and slid a piece of tubing over the leg in the middle then run the hosing down into a jar of starsan. or use a large enough piece of tubing to fit in the hole in the bung or even bigger yet to fit right where the bung is.

Do you mean take the lead off the airlock and run the tubing from that to the jar of starsan? Do you always need to use a blow off tube on a carboy and not just the airlock?

You can soak a towel in some sanitizer to wipe everything down with first. The reference to a blow off he is making is a blow off hose. It is essentially a 3 foot or so long piece of tubing that has a diameter that will fit snugly into the neck of your carboy (most commonly without the bung inserted) I think normally 1" interior diameter hose works well. The fact that the hose into the neck fits tightly keeps a seal while allowing the "blow off" or krausen to exit the fermentor into the bucket of sanitizer. Think of the sanitizer bucket like a big airlock.

Look up blow off tube. You can either remove everything and use a large diameter tube (to fit inside the carboy) and put the other end in some water so it bubbles and acts as an air lock, or you can use a smaller tube that attaches to the inside of the airlock (by removing the airlock lid and floater) and attaching directly to that. either way make sure one end is of the tube is in a bucket of water to prevent oxygen from entering

1/2" ID tubing will fit the airlock's center tube. Then into at least a 1/2 gallon jug 1/3 full of water with a splash of starsan.

a 1/2" ID tubing will fit over the center "tube" of the airlock. Take off the very top, small plastic lid that has tiny holes in it. The rest of the airlock should still be there and still inserted in the bung, which is still in the carboy. Now slide your 1/2" ID tubing onto that center "tube" of the airlock. Put the other end of the tube into a jar of vodka or starsan, preferrably below the level of the top of the carboy (ie. on the ground next to carboy, not above it).

Or you can pull the whole bung and airlock out and insert a 1" ID tube directly into the neck of the carboy with the other end in said jar of vodka/sanitizer.

Will the krasen continue to come out? I have the tubing that came with my kit and that looks like it will fit over the center of the airlock...will that work?

Will the krasen continue to come out? I have the tubing that came with my kit and that looks like it will fit over the center of the airlock...will that work?

Yes, and losing krausen is no problem. It's mostly just co2, debris and hops, but some of it is beer. You always lose some beer during fermentation, though.

In addition to the blow off tube:
1. Cover it up. It's beer, beer doesn't like light.
2. Put it somewhere/in something where it can't make a mess of your wall/floor

So the tubing I have doesn't fit over the center of the airlock. It seems as though the krasen has gone down a bit. Should I just keep an eye on it tonight and see how it progresses?

I've moved it to the basement where it is usually dark and cooler. Hope that helps

Well, I wouldn't advocate dropping the temp of fermenting beer as it encourages the yeast to flocculate and slow down. I would however remove that airlock and re-clean and sanitize it before you go much further. If the fermentation has settled down, you might get away with just doing that.

Also in the future watch the temps closely, depending on yeast, and if you can get a primary which gives you a little more head space that will help quite a bit. You still may get a blow every now and then.

No, the temp is critical. That was actually a good thing. What yeast? Don't worry it ll be fine.

These are not the best pictures but it gives you an idea of what we are talking about with a blowoff tube. I had to use this on the dark wheat porter seen in the pictures.

PIC_0665.jpg

PIC_0663 (2).jpg

I suggest getting an 8 gallon bucket or a bigger carboy. With the bucket there will be lots of head space for a 5 gallon batch and no need for a blow-off tube. Plus they are much easier to clean after you transfer your beer out.

These are not the best pictures but it gives you an idea of what we are talking about with a blowoff tube. I had to use this on the dark wheat porter seen in the pictures.

Those pictures give me an idea of what it would be like to brew beer in total darkness.

What yeast strain? It's 72 in your basement? He'll I'm in the deep south and it isn't that warm. Oh you have heat, my bad. What was the yeast? You'll probably want to be 58-62 ish depending.

No it's not that warm down there! I'm up in NY and its about 20 outside. The thermometer in the side of the carboy is reading 70-72. The yeast was Safale US-04

Yea, so going to fermentis website and downloading the PDF for safale 04 you'll see 59-68F is the ideal temp.

The point being that dropping the temp after active fermentation slows isn't a great idea because it can encourage yeast to flocc out early. Now, if exponential growth phase is still underway, then it's fine. I'd advocate raising the temp once things slow down. Esters are only produced during exponential growth phase.

Those pictures give me an idea of what it would be like to brew beer in total darkness.
LOL...... Thank god this isnt my space for brewing beer. But it is a perfect place for storage and to ferment my brew. No windows so no daylight..... I took those pictures on my JVC HD cam and it has no flash.

First post, long time lurker, yada yada. Can't really tell from the photo, but is your blowoff container sitting on the table with the carboy below? Any issues with siphoning back to the carboy with pressure differences? I see you are in Oak Hill, I'm right on the Fayetteville/Oak Hill line.

First post, long time lurker, yada yada. Can't really tell from the photo, but is your blowoff container sitting on the table with the carboy below? Any issues with siphoning back to the carboy with pressure differences? I see you are in Oak Hill, I'm right on the Fayetteville/Oak Hill line.
I was just trying like hell to show the setup with such poor light. Sitting on the floor I couldnt even see that jug in the picture so I had to move it. I have never tried sitting the sanitized solution and blowoff above the carboy. I would think as long as CO2 was escaping it wouldn't be a issue. But I have not tried it. On another note we may have crossed paths somewhere. I jam in a few places in Fayetteville. You know how small towns are. I am just up the road from you maybe an exit.

Back