What should I brew this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whatsleftofyou

Third Eye Pried Wide
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm just kind of throwing this out there - I want to brew this weekend, but not sure what (other than that I don't want to do a stout with 3 in kegs already). I have 2-row/pils and almost any specialty malt you could want, and a whole bunch of American hops, plus Hallertau, EKG, and Fuggle. The stichler is that I only have S-04 and S-33 to work with. No doubt I'll just whip something together, but what direction would you go?

Well, since you know what I like, I'm sure it's no surprise that I suggest an IPA with So4! Even though it's an English yeast, I love the results I get in American ales, if the temp is kept under 70 degrees. It's super clear, and pretty neutral under 70 degrees.

I'd do something simple- just two row and some crystal 40L, with tons of chinook for bittering, and other US hops for flavor and aroma. I'm loving simcoe/amarillo right now, but like cascade/willamette for a combo too.

I don't have Beersmith on this computer, but here's a quick idea:

10 pounds two-row
.75 pounds crystal 40l (or better, a mix of 10L and 60L)

1 ounce chinnook FWH
.5 ounce simcoe 10 minutes
.5 ounce amarillo 10 minutes
.5 ounce simcoe 5 minutes
.5 ounce amarillo 0 minutes

dryhop with .5 ounce simcoe/1 ounce amarillo

And then invite me over to drink it!

S-04 is my main yeast. I use it for everything non-Belgian. Keep it under 70 and it's clean and ferments fast. IPA, APA, brown, porter, it works great for all.

Back