What should I brew first?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gratefuldisc

Reaction score
I can't decide what to brew for my first.

I was thinking I should do something easy, no secondary (I have a 5gal carboy to use as secondary but feel like I should keep it simple the first time around), with a fast turnaround time because I know its going to be hard to be patient. Would a hefeweizen or belgian white fit that? Though those feel more like a spring thing than winter...

Should I just pick one of the 5 canned kits that my LHBS has sitting on the shelf? Should I order a kit from some place like austinhomebrew.com?

would something like this be too ambitious for a first brew?

That kit would not be any harder than another BUT it would take a long time to age because it's a big beer. If you are going to be impatient, start with a hefe or wheat. :D

It's a first brew, so you will not be patient. Lower gravity beers are less forgiving, but higher grav beers take longer to age. Look for something you fancy in the 5% range for a first brew.

While time is one of your biggest factors I tended to start with brewing heavier beers. If you brew an IPA or a lighter beer, off odors and flavors are much more evident. (all of which can be avoided with proper sanitation)

while everyone knows patience is a virtue.it's also a hard thing to practice. i would suggest trying a style you would normally buy to drink. waiting is hard ,but you will be rewarded if you can wait. remember to practice good sanitation & hope everything works out ok.

yeah I'm thinking I am going to go with a wheat beer. Single stage fermentation and they are meant to be drank green right? To get the first impatient brew out of my system, then as soon as that is bottled I will start a second, slower batch and start a pipeline while drinking my first batch. sound good?

Back