What should beer taste like afte 2 weeks?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jkali860

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I am new to this whole brewing thing but I absolutely love it. I brewed an IPA 2 weeks ago and just bottled it. Of course I tried a taste to get an idea of what it would be like and I was surprised. I got a lot of bitterness (which I like) some malty flavors (also not bad) but I didn't get any yeasty flavors and barely any alcohol at all. I got a lot of water besides the sweet and bitter tastes. From what I have read, that alcohol should be very prominent. I sanitized everything like crazy, saw a lot of activity in my airlock, but is what I tasted a sign of contamination? I fermented it at 65 degrees F in a dark place, and also followed the instructions as closely as possible. Is this normal and am I just getting first brew jitters?

Cheers!!

How long did you ferment?

What was your original specific gravity before you pitched your yeast?

What strain of yeast did you use please?

...were you wearing any hat or head-gear at the time?

I don't see anything in your description that suggests infection. I wouldn't worry too much about the taste at 2 wks barring an obvious off flavor or sourness. Did you check gravities?

Unfortunately I didn't measure the gravities. I had a very simple kit and there was no hydrometer that came with it. I actually just placed an order for one around 5 minutes ago. I was not wearing any head protection but my hair is very short and was extremely careful around the wort. I fermented it for two weeks today, and just bottled it.

Thanks!

Should alcohol to very present after 2 weeks? I got a lot of watery taste when I sampled it. Was expecting my pungent flavors that weren't quite balanced.

Sorry man, I was just having fun on the hat comment.

It is generally recommended to wait four weeks to get a full "bottle condition" completed.

It will get a little better. Early on some people describe the flavor of beer as "green", meaning it isn't matured yet.

It sounds drinkable - nice first attempt!

Also, read through some of the threads at the bottom of the page - you titled your thread well - they have similar titles and sometimes the OP comes back to give an update after the 'speriment is complete.

Should alcohol to very present after 2 weeks? I got a lot of watery taste when I sampled it. Was expecting my pungent flavors that weren't quite balanced.

The watery taste can be from it not being carbonated yet. I'm also not sure I agree with whoever is telling you the alcohol should be very prominent, even my higher gravity beers don't seem to taste that way in the sampler. In fact if it tasted strongly alcoholic I might actually be worried about high fermentation temps. But yeah, it would have been nice to know the actual gravity.
Bottom line, don't sweat it yet!!

Haha that hat comment threw me for a second. Yea I need to document these gravity levels for my next attempt. Ahh Hopefully next time I try them (2 more weeks) they will have more yeast and alcohol presence.

Really appreciate the posts!

Haha that hat comment threw me for a second. Yea I need to document these gravity levels for my next attempt. Ahh Hopefully next time I try them (2 more weeks) they will have more yeast and alcohol presence.

I was thinking it sounds like you may have brewed a nice clean IPA. Unless that's not what you were going for - what yeast? Were you looking for more of an English style or something like that?

Drink 3 or 4 more and let us know if you find the alcohol

If there is still doubt on the alcohol presence, rinse and repeat this advice on an empty stomach.
:)

Some advice I give anyone who drink my brews and says "Man that beer rocked! How can I make beer like that!?!?!"

- Pick up a homebrewing guide(The Complete Joy Of Homebrewing comes to mind) and spend some time with it.

- There is not much to making beer however, there is some "need to follow" basics/principles needed to make GREAT beer. I also started my homebrew journey by just "jumping in" and skimming the how-tos. The result was less than stellar knowing what I know now.

- After taking the advice I am giving you, I learned how the beer making process works, how to take measurements, keep a brew log, how my equipment and setup works and how I work with my setup to get the most out of my batches.

The 4 key things to remember with beer is:

1. Sanitize EVERYTHING!

2. Always ferment on the cooler side of your yeast temps to get the true profile of a beer to come through in the end without any "off-flavors".

3. Time. Time is a beers best friend. An extra week in the fermenter, an extra week or 2 in the bottle/keg. Time is what a beer needs to become great if you keep everything clean and hit your fermentation temps.

4. Keep a record of what you did from ingredients, to hop addition schedule and gravity readings. Nothing sucks worse than making a batch, not writing down the exact brew schedule/additions, have it turn out to be the best beer you have ever had only to not be able to replicate it because you did not write that 1 thing you forgot about down.

:mug:

I think your "First brew jitters" comment is probably spot on. Give it some time to carb up and youll probably be quite happy with the results. Warm, uncarbonated beer is pretty hard to compare to the final product. Sounds like you are on the right track with what you described by the taste.

Back