What should be my next IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
1) Yuri's longhammer clone (adjusted to LME since I'm not AG'ing - yet) or 2) Brian Miller's Whippoorwill Pale? Or any thoughts/suggestions on these recipes?

Longhammer
7lbs. Pale LME
3 lbs. Munich
0.5 lb. Crystal 10L
1 oz Northern Brewer (60 min)
1 oz Williamette (10 min)
1 oz Cascade (5 min)
1 oz Cascade (3-day dry hop)
Nottingham yeast

Whippoorwill
7 lbs. Pale LME
0.5 lb Crystal 40L
0.25 lb Victory
0.25 lb Munich
0.25 lb Carapils
0.5 lb Six-Row
1 oz Magnum (60 min)
0.5 oz Williamette (15 min)
0.5 oz Cascade (15 min)
0.5 oz Williamette (5 min)
0.5 oz Cascade (5 min)
Wyeast 1056 American Ale

Longhammer looks the best to me, but I havent tried it. Is is scary close to an IPA I brew except I use WLP051 and different hops for 60 and 10..

This is what I'm gonna try...

7 lbs. Pale LME
0.5 lb Crystal 40L
0.5 lb Victory
0.25 lb Munich
0.25 lb Carapils
0.5 lb Six-Row
1 oz Columbus (60 min)
0.5 oz Cascade (15 min)
0.5 oz Cascade (5 min)
Safeale US05

for some reason I just reviewed my order from AHS and it shows I ordered an ounce of Nugget hops. :confused: Should I incorporate it into this recipe, or save it?

And, I'm officially on the Apfelwein wagon now -- gonna get a half-batch going this weekend....:rockin:

would Nugget work for a dry hop?

Technically, any hop will 'work' for dryhopping. It all depends on what kind of aroma you're looking for. Nugget is along the same lines as chinook and is going to give you a aheave spicy/herbal aroma.

For IPA's I try to stick with simcoe, cascade, amarillo and centennial because the're more floral/fruity and make for a great nose.

Im kind of in the same boat you guys are in...I was thinking of making a Harpoon IPA Clone..(no partial mashing for me, I am a noob). This would be my 1st time though using specialty grains...I found this recipe using the search function...Anybody familiar with it have any comments/suggestions?

Harpoon Clone

Slightly Darker and heavier than Harpoon, but very close in flavor.

Yield:5 Gallons
Total Boiling Time:60 Minutes

Starting Gravity: 1.046 - 1.048
Ending Gravity: 1.013 - 1.011

Primary Fermentation: 7 days
Secondary Fermentation: 7 days

6.6 pounds light malt extract
(Munton & Fison or Northwestern)
1/2 pound crystal malt
1/2 pound roasted barley
*1 ounce Cascade hop pellets, in boil 60 minutes
*1 ounce Cascade hop pellets, in boil 10 minutes
*1 ounce Cascade hop pellets, in boil 2 minutes
Whitbread ale yeast or Wyeast 1098, 1028 or 1056
3/4 cup corn sugar or 1 1/4 DME, for priming

Steep grains for 20 minutes and sparge. Add malt extract and 1 ounce of Cascade hops and bring level of wort to 2 1/2 gallons. Bring to a slow boil.

While the wort is boiling, make a yeast starter.

After 50 minutes of boiling, add 1 ounce of Cascade hops. Boil for 8 minutes and add 1 ounce of Cascade hops.

Boil for 2 more minutes and turn off heat.
Pour wort into primary fermenter and pitch yeast when wort temperature is less than 90 degrees F.

Ferment for 7 days. Rack to a secondary fermenter, filtering through cheese cloth.
Ferment for an additional 7 days. Prime with 3/4 cup corn sugar or 1 1/4 DME and bottle.
Allow 2 weeks before sampling.

^^I'm not too worried about stuff like yeast pitching temperatures, I would def go lower than 90º. I'm more concerned about the ingredients- also, I was planning on using US-05 for yeast

looks like a mighty fine beer. I made the AHS Harpoon IPA clone and it was wonderful (best beer I've made so far, I think).

just put your specialty grains in a grain bag and steep at around 155 for 30 minutes or so and then drain (without squeezing the bag!). keep the bag off the bottom of the pot if you need to keep the flame on to keep the temp around 155 -- but don't let it get over 160.

I'd also let it ferment in the primary for at least 10 days (well, actually, take a hydro reading on day 10 and 11), or do what several of the pro's do on here - just leave it for ~3 weeks in the primary and then bottle.

p.s. please don't hijack my thread again :D (j/k)

p.s. please don't hijack my thread again :D (j/k)

haha!!..I hate when posters have done that to me before- but I figured...I dunno whats worse- hijacking a thread or posting a new 1 w/ ppl saying...not this noob again.

I am stuck between brewing this recipe & getting the AHS clone..the only thing stopping me is that $44 + shipping price tag.

a little help with the hop schedule:

7 lbs. Pale LME
0.5 lb Crystal 40L
0.5 lb Victory
0.25 lb Munich
0.25 lb Carapils
0.5 lb Six-Row
1 oz Columbus (60 min)
0.5 oz Cascade (15 min)
0.5 oz Cascade (5 min)
Safale US05

I've also got an ounce of Nugget that I want to incorporate? If it were you, where would u add it? Half for 60, half for 5? Dry hop? thx

I would hold onto the Nugget for something else but if you really want to use it sub it for your Williamette additions and then dry hop with the Williamettes - 1 to 2 weeks secondary.

If it were me, I would either use the nugget for bittering at 60 mins or hang onto them. I like amarillo/Simcoe/Columbus/Cascade/Centennial for IPAs. I made one with just Chinook, which is similar to Nugget and missed the citrusy hops.

Also, one more point to ponder.

I recently saw a graph posted here that showed the ideal times for extracting bitterness, flavor, and aroma. I think 20 minutes was the peak for flavor and 5 was the peak for aroma. I have since (1 batch brewed) tried to use those numbers as a guide for hop additions. What Im trying to say is consider moving your 15 minute additions to 20 for peak flavor. It may screw up your IBU calculations though. I am sure it will be good either way.

So what's the 1/2 lb six row pale for? Is there really that much of a difference between 2 and 6 row pales to justify bothering with both in the same beer?

So what's the 1/2 lb six row pale for? Is there really that much of a difference between 2 and 6 row pales to justify bothering with both in the same beer?

I don't know - just following the recipe I got from Brewer's Connection...

so this thing's aged awhile now, and I think it's the best beer I've ever made!

Thanks to Brian Miller for the recipe (via Brewer's Connection) in Tempe

Back