what scale to buy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JONNYROTTEN

Reaction score
Time for a scale.What do you recommend? Is there one scale that will measure pounds for the grain and 1/4 OZ for hops and still be accurate at both? And fit a 5 gal bucket on top

I use a cheap scale I got at harbor freight, and yes, it does both though it's limited at 11 lb. I check it every once in a while with a nickel.

The Escali Primo has worked well for me for both grain and hops. However, I do 2 to 3 gallon batches. It has a capacity of 11 lbs.

I use a $20 digital scale with glass top from the Walmart kitchen gadgets isle. They have fine mesh strainers too, besides various thermometers. It measures up to 10lbs & 1 or 2 decimal places. Pounds, Kilograms, grams & ounces as well. Real handy for grains, hops, priming sugars, etc...:mug:

Last edited by a moderator:
I also use two scales. But if I had to use one it would be the $11 one I bought on Amazon. It only goes to 11lbs and it won't fit a bucket. But I just measure grain 3# at a time in a mixing bowl. It measures grams too, so it would work for hops.

I use a $20 digital scale with glass top from the Walmart kitchen gadgets isle. They have fine mesh strainers too, besides various thermometers. It measures up to 10lbs & 1 or 2 decimal places. Pounds, Kilograms, grams & ounces as well. Real handy for grains, hops, priming sugars, etc...:mug:

I probably have the same one. Mine is black with a LCD display on the front. It does grams or ounces, and will go up to 11 lbs (I think)

For measuring lbs, a simple trick I used to do when I was packing for hiking: I would stand on the bathroom scale and weigh myself, then step off, put my pack on and reweigh. The difference between the second reading and the first was the pack weight.

Could do the same with grain in a pinch. A decent bath scale with an LCD readout gives a reasonably accurate reading when taking differential readings like this...

I mention this because some bath scales will not weigh smaller 'standalone' amounts like 5-10lbs, but you could use that simple trick.

I probably have the same one. Mine is black with a LCD display on the front. It does grams or ounces, and will go up to 11 lbs (I think)

I bought mine a couple years ago. I showed it in one of my gadget videos on Youtube.
Mine goes to 10 pounds in Pounds, Kilograms, ounces & grams.

I use two scales as I am fortunate to borrow them from my other hobby/work.

The small scale I share with my firearm cartridge reloading. Measures Grains, Grams and up to 2 ounces. 0.001 precision.

The heavy scale I share from work. It is an AC refrigerant scale. 100lb capacity. It will measure a 1/10 ounce (0.1 precision), yet I trust the small scale for those small amounts.
I place ~10lbs on the scale and zero/tare it so I am not working on the bottom of it's calibration.

'da Kid

Time for a scale.What do you recommend? Is there one scale that will measure pounds for the grain and 1/4 OZ for hops and still be accurate at both? And fit a 5 gal bucket on top

The Escali Primo has also served me well for grain and hops. I would like something with finer resolution for hops...that one goes to .1 oz and can be difficult to get an accurate .05 oz difference. It doesn't matter in terms of the beer but I'd like to get a true .25 oz. Kyle

The Escali Primo has also served me well for grain and hops. I would like something with finer resolution for hops...that one goes to .1 oz and can be difficult to get an accurate .05 oz difference. It doesn't matter in terms of the beer but I'd like to get a true .25 oz. Kyle

You can't beat the good ol' blade scale for small increments. I weigh my hops on one of these all the time. <$10 + Prime eligible http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0012N1NAA/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Back