What scale do you use?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewprint

Reaction score
I'm looking to upgrade my cheap wal mart scale to weigh grains since I'll probably be buying bulk sacks of at least 2-row.

Also the scale that I currently use loses the correct tare weight when I'm weighing my hops. I usually compensate for it but it's a pain in the A anyway.

What is a good option for small things like hops and larger grain bills at the same time?

Both of those look like great options.

Which is more accurate for weighing 1/4 ounce of hops? I brew that centennial blonde quite a bit.

I think the ultraship 35 is very accurate but I don't have anything to compare it to. I weigh 20 lb sacks of green coffee on it and it senses a few beans have been removed... If you go for this one find it bundled with the AC adapter

Last edited:
Both of those look like great options.

Which is more accurate for weighing 1/4 ounce of hops? I brew that centennial blonde quite a bit.

The Escali's resolution is in tenths of an ounce, so it won't give you a precise measurement for such small weights. For weighing hops and water salts, I bought this little scale on Amazon. Up to 100g in .01g increments. Pretty good for under $10.

Edit: You could use the Escali in grams mode, as it has 1g resolution. Then convert back to oz. That would be reasonably good for hops weighing. For instance, 1/4 oz. would be approx. 7 grams.

Last edited by a moderator:
I ended up ordering the Escali and the 100 grammer. I finally got around to picking up that 55lb sac of 2-row so I just ordered the Escali the other day.

So far that 100grammer works awesome for hops. I wish I would've ordered that long ago.

Back