What Scale do all-grain brewers recommend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nikko2000

Reaction score
I am getting together all the equiptment needed to brew my first all-grain brew. I have been looking on Amazon and ebay for a digital scale but don't want to buy the wrong one. Since I will be weighing mostly grains, do I need a scale with some type of container or bowl on the scale to hold the grains? What do all-grain brewers recommend? Thanks!

I reccommend a postal scale with a platform large enough for a bucket and a ater feature to zero out the bucket.

It should read in Ounces and pounds. And have a tight tolerance.

American Weigh usually has nice deals on good digital scales.

dont buy the cheap ebay postal scales,, they only read in 5g 1/10th oz increments and the auto-lock function sucks

Im looking for a good scale maybe someone else will chime in with the right ones to get

I am also in the market for a new scale. Does anyone have a source for quality hanging scales? Preferably something that would measure by the ounce.

I've been happy with my escali primo scale. $24 shipped if ya add a little thing to bump the total over $25. I've used it successfully for weighing both hops and grains.

Two scales would be better (higher capacity/ higher resolution) but if you're only buying one the escali is a great option.

Last edited by a moderator:
I needed one in a hurry so I picked up a digital at Wal-Mart. It comes with a nice size bucket thing. Smallest in ounces is 1/8. It does do 1 gram increments.

I have two scales. One is high capacity (30 lbs) for grains and the other more precise for hops etc with a 1/10 gram resolution. A grain scale need not bee all that precise as a few ounces one way or the other makes little difference. It's a different story for hops and maybe chemicals at times. The Escali scales are very popular and reasonably priced. Keep in mind that the fine resolution specs for the higher capacity scales can be deceptive. Often those are not sensitive enough at the low end where you may want to measure only a fraction of an ounce.

Here's a good source: http://www.oldwillknottscales.com/

and another: http://www.americanweigh.com/

Between those two sites you will find a huge selection of reasonably priced scales.

I have two scales. One is high capacity (30 lbs) for grains and the other more precise for hops etc with a 1/10 gram resolution. A grain scale need not bee all that precise as a few ounces one way or the other makes little difference. It's a different story for hops and maybe chemicals at times. The Escali scales are very popular and reasonably priced. Keep in mind that the fine resolution specs for the higher capacity scales can be deceptive. Often those are not sensitive enough at the low end where you may want to measure only a fraction of an ounce.

Here's a good source: http://www.oldwillknottscales.com/

and another: http://www.americanweigh.com/

Between those two sites you will find a huge selection of reasonably priced scales.

I'm with you on that... I have a Salter digital readout kitchen scale that I've had for years that I use for grains, and a small 1/10 g scale for hops. My only complaint is that the hop scale is a bit hard to use with leaf hops due to the small size of the surface, but perfect for pellets.

Any other better scales come on the market since the start of this post? I ordered a cheap $35 scale for shipping ups/fedex boxes (at work) and it was great for that - For small grain amounts, it would be horrible.

With that said, can someone point me to any other good scales? Since I won't be using it that much, I would like to spend under $50 - The less the better but I don't want to underspend where I buy something that is useless

Back