What propane burner should I get?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McGlothan

Reaction score
Hi,

I am looking to buy a propane burner because I'm tired of brewing on my electric stove. I have a perfect spot outside to set up a propane burner and I am now on a mission to buy one. Are there any recommendations? I am currently brewing 5 gallon batches.

Thanks,

Shawn

I'd check out the turkey fryers that you can buy at almost any of the big department stores. They work great, and come with a big pot to brew with. I have 2 of em, and I'm getting ready to buy a third to build a brew stand with.

I'd look for at least 14,000 BTU. My stove top burner was 11,000 BTU and it worked, but took a long time to bring 5 gallons of wort to a boil (I stopped using mine after my second batch).The larger burner will heat quicker, and give you a more vigorous boil. A lot of guys here use Banjo style burners, and those seem to work extremely well. I guess it all depends on how much you want to spend on your brew set-up.

Bayou classic sq-14 is the one you want. Sturdy frame, wide hot flame, quiet, and very easy on fuel. It even comes in stainless for a little extra.

I caught the turkey fryer at Wally world on sale. It comes with a 7.5 gallon pot, thermo and lid. I timed a full pot to boil and it did it in 44 minutes. My water temp at the hose is 72 degrees year round. I also found a decent deal on a 50 qt boil kettle and a sale on an igloo water cooler. So far all told I am in for about 200 bucks not counting the next project which is assembling a slotted steel brew sculpture with a whinch on top to lift kettles since I am disabled in a wheel chair and cannot lift anything. The slotted metal is available in the big box stores and is very reasonable and will allow modification and additions later if I decide I need to expand or improve. I am putting it all on wheels so it will roll out of the way when not in use and all the heights are adjustable to allow differing pot and tun sizes if needed. It is all gravity powered except the initial fill with water, which is done with a garden hose for now. I am planning to hard pipe water and gas onto the stand to neaten the build and make it more stand alone when completed. Hope this helps inspire you to build and have a ton of fun along the way.

"Bob the crazy wheel chair bound noob"

Hi,

I am looking to buy a propane burner because I'm tired of brewing on my electric stove. I have a perfect spot outside to set up a propane burner and I am now on a mission to buy one. Are there any recommendations? I am currently brewing 5 gallon batches.

Thanks,

Shawn

If you are not in a hurry, check around at garage sales. My Gf's dad found me 2 in the same summer. A King Kooker for $8 and an Eastman Outdoors one at 65,000 BTU for $5 with an unopened turkey pot kit. But... he is good at talking people down.:D

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a Bayou classic sp-10 and I'm happy with it. Not at all quiet, but it definitely gets the job done at potentially 185,000 BTUs.

Check out Gander Mountain if there one near you. I picked up a camp chef burner for $50.00. Puts out 60k btu's. Works great.

phenry said:
I have a Bayou classic sp-10 and I'm happy with it. Not at all quiet, but it definitely gets the job done at potentially 185,000 BTUs.

This is what I have, only it's the KAB4 model. It is not a propane saver, but more like the Hummer of stand burners. It will boil your beer, up to 50 gallons of it evidently. I love it, it brings 10 gallons of water from cold to strike temps in about 20 minutes.

Latest posts

Back