What other beers / recipe's would I like?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YellowHat

Reaction score
Hello Guys!

3rd post :) I'm going to be starting my first brew soon hopefully.

I'll give you a list of what beers I've tried and like, maybe someone can come up with some suggestions. I'll through down a list of all the things I've tried to get this as open as possible :)

Guinness - Love it
Guinness Original - Too strong, bitter?

Mongozo Coconut Beer - Light and Fluffy, Love it

Fosters Can - Bit of a bite but I get on with it
Fosters Tap - Too much of a bite,

Boddingtons - Didn't get on with the taste

SHEPHERD NEAME - Dark, Strong, Don't like

I also like Kolsh & Becks, oh and bud gives me a headache pretty much 70% of the times I drink it, however bud light does not!

Franziskaner Hefe-weissbier - Love it, fruity aftertaste, light.

I'll add cider to the list just so you can have more of an understanding of my taste

Strongbow - Hard Bite
Bulbers - Perfect

They're basically the things I do & don't get on with.

Can anyone work anything out by that, any similarities between the drinks I do and don't like?

I think I prefer lighter, (to drink and texture) beers to the darker ones, apart from guiness.

Long shot but is there a recipe around anywhere that has any similarities in taste to Franziskaner's weissbeer, I think thats overall the beer I find easiest to drink :mug:

Thanks, sorry for the vague descriptions :eek:

You should definitely brew a hefeweizen for your first brew. It's ready to drink quickly, so you can have something to drink while you wait for your second batch to get ready. If you like other hefe's, that's the way to go, so you can be drinking the fruit of your labors ASAP.

Also check out Edwort's Apfelwein here in the Recipe section for a really dry cider that's easy to make and quite tasty.

Numerous online retailers have solid Guiness clone kits, so you could do one of those if you're going extract, like I did for my first year or so. Irish dry stouts like Guiness do well as homebrews, though that classic foamy head is a product of the nitro taps its served on, so you won't get it from a bottle.

Hefeweizen was my first brew. I followed a simple recipe for a beginner, yet it came out great - better than what you buy in the store. I didn't even use any grains, just wheat extract and Williamette hops.

Okay thanks, before I go looking at recipes I need to get a few things cleared up.

Right now all I have is 2 fermenters & a siphoning tube.

Are there any kits avaliable that will give me all the equipment needed?
Or, if I don't go down that route, and want to brew Extract, what equipment would I need?

Ah and, Could I get a name of a good site to order from for the UK, the best place I have right now is Brew-It-Yourself, there are no Hefeweizen kits on there at all, let alone something that comes with equipment.

Okay so I've been doing a bit of reading, came across this simple brewing guide, which is not like the others, Homebrew & winemaking forum

Does that method seem okay to people?

I've been doing a bit of digging on kits, haven't found anything yet really, the-home-brew-shop do a few cheap kits, which don't need bottling after, although there's no beer there that I think I would enjoy, apart from the cider kit.

________

According to the guide above, If I bought a bigger fermenter (15l) , hydrometer & beer paddle I could get my boiling done in a pot, transfer to the fermenter, let it ferment and then transfer to bottles.

I'd then be able to buy a beer pack that would suite my taste (or the ingredients from a recipe) - if the recipe/batch is over 15l , would it be alright to average down the measurements and brew a smaller batch?

How does not having a carboy & skipping stage 2 fermentation affect the beer? I did hear in some guide, somewhere, that it's possible?

& Also is storing the beer in plastic containers after fermentation a decent alternative? I'm too poor for bottles :p:

I'm on a tight budget :( I just bought a £200 camera and a trip to germany for the Grand Prix so I'm practically as skint as you can be :tank:

I know a 1 stage ferment isn't the best way to go but would this be okay for a first batch? If not I could always transfer the batch to my 2 smaller buckets kept airtight for a 2nd fermentation, this would then mean that there'd be around 5L of batch left from the first stage, would I be able to keep this left there untill I have room to shift it.

Would any of the above post actually work for a first attempt?

Back