What Online Brew stores do you like?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saucebag

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
used to brew ages ago. Getting back into it now (mostly because i just learned about Clarity Ferm to reduce gluten! I had no idea this existed until I started researching how Omission reduces their gluten. I thought they filtered it out with a 0.1 micron filter or something. Also, its 30 minutes to the closest Omission dealer - so I'm back baby!)

Anyway, besides the LHBS (of which I have to drive almost 90 miles) where do you like to shop online for Value and variety. Back in the day i used Morebeer and Northern brewer exclusively, as that was all I knew and all I needed. This was when I was in New Hampshire, I had a LHBS, now I don't, in Florida. I actually even bought a couple small items off Amazon. I'm not trying to get anyone fired up, just looking for options here.

Atlantic Brew Supply -- Great service, grain prices better than Northern Brewer and they ship relatively quickly. Northern Brewer is local to me so I use them as well but they are definitely more expensive on their regular pricing. Great physical store though. Sometimes if I have a big enough order for reduced shipping cost, I like to use Atlantic because they deserve the business, IMO.

Last edited:
from what i've heard recently, and the fact this in low oxygen...hold your breath if you order from NB these days...i've always liked morebeer...and morebeer did open another location on your side of the oceans...

yeah, i dropped this in the wrong section and dont know how to move or delete it. Im a Hack!

i just thought NB's crap shipping i've heard about recently that takes like 3-4 weeks, would be a good point to make on the note....

What is the priority? Ingredients or brewing hardware?

I've ordered parts for kegs and what not from Williams and MoreBeer in the last year and have been OK. Last Morebeer order got a 10lb sack of Vienna and Munich to fill out an order and went fine.

Ritebrew.com is a source I've used as well. They are only one state away (Iowa - Wisconsin) so I have no shipping delays.

Fresh yeast is one area I cannot answer: I have a LHBS where I have picked up any liquid packs, never had to deal with shipping this stuff (yet).

EDIT: also heard good things about Atlantic Brew Supply, but never ordered from them personally

I have been dealing with Lable Pealers for years. They are within driving distance from me but when I have had stuff shipped It wasn’t too bad. They have good prices on most stuff most of the time. You can catch grain on sale fairly often for under $1.00 per #.

I get hops from Yakima Valley Hops and dry yeast from RiteBrew. Great prices, very fast, never had a single issue. (I get grain from my local maltster, but that doesn’t help you any.)

When I need more variety, I usually go with MoreBeer.

Dont post much , thought I would make a comment about Label Peelers. They just had a great 42% sale, a real sale off std stock prices. I loaded up with grain DME yeast adjuncts and some keg parts. Plus a 5g extract kit.
I passed the link over to family as GREAT Christmas gift recommendations :)
I use Ritebrew best non sale prices. Limited variety but great for basics
Morebeer is good but prices are higher, I look for sales, and ingredients I cannot find else where

And even MRBEER :) been brewing extracts for 11 years. I use MRB HME for many of my DIY recipes. I shop their sales and they send me 20% coupons. I use the discount when they run site wide sales

May as well ask here: is there an online retailer that allows personal all grain recipe building? As in fractional quantities? Within reason of course, say .25lb increments.

I’m not ready to buy in bulk just yet. It would be nice to be able to build my recipes in an order.

Great Fermentations in Indy does this. I believe Atlantic Brew Supply, closer to you, does this too. I would recommend either and both.
I just got some Indiana grown malts, hops, and wildflower honey for an all Indiana ingredients brew from Great Fermentations.

Delta brewing ships 55lbs sacks for free. Not sure how they do it.... I ordered like 200lbs a few moths ago free shipping.

May as well ask here: is there an online retailer that allows personal all grain recipe building? As in fractional quantities? Within reason of course, say .25lb increments.

I’m not ready to buy in bulk just yet. It would be nice to be able to build my recipes in an order.

We sell grain by the ounce and if you don't want to drive a bit, I can't imagine the UPS ground rates to be all that expensive within the same area of the state. Ordering grain by both pound and ounce increments is easy on our single batch builder page.

1670708628820.png

We sell grain by the ounce and if you don't want to drive a bit, I can't imagine the UPS ground rates to be all that expensive within the same area of the state. Ordering grain by both pound and ounce increments is easy on our single batch builder page.

View attachment 807536
I’m definitely going to make it out your way soon. I can order online for pickup right? I need to play around with your website on the computer.

I use Ritebrew.com now for most things. I also really like Farmhouse Brewing Supply, especially for their 10# grain specials and their 4 ounce packages of hops, but I haven't ordered from them in a while because I have a freezer full of hops already. :rolleyes: And every few years I place an order to Hops Direct. (that's a big part of why my freezer is full)

I hope Northern Brewer gets their act together. Latest reports look like maybe they are. They used to be a great company, and perhaps they still are. I love going to their store in person but haven't been since before Covid.

I've also been very pleased with the stuff I bought from brewhardware.com, but I've only placed the one order because I don't need much hardware. (I didn't know they sold grain)

used to brew ages ago. Getting back into it now (mostly because i just learned about Clarity Ferm to reduce gluten! I had no idea this existed until I started researching how Omission reduces their gluten. I thought they filtered it out with a 0.1 micron filter or something. Also, its 30 minutes to the closest Omission dealer - so I'm back baby!)

Anyway, besides the LHBS (of which I have to drive almost 90 miles) where do you like to shop online for Value and variety. Back in the day i used Morebeer and Northern brewer exclusively, as that was all I knew and all I needed. This was when I was in New Hampshire, I had a LHBS, now I don't, in Florida. I actually even bought a couple small items off Amazon. I'm not trying to get anyone fired up, just looking for options here.
I also got back into things a few years ago when I learned about clarity ferm! I can do gluten, but my wife can't, and I had gotten tired of not being able to finish batches before they were past their prime. Clarity ferm is a godsend! I've used it on about 25 batches now, and my wife has never had an issue.

As for homebrew shops, I almost exclusively order from Bitter & Esters. It's an lhbs in New York, and the shipping isn't always cheap, but their recipes are *fantastic*. Several of the best beers I've ever brewed are from their kits (and I usually find kit beers boring and middle of the road). They also tend to add new recipes a few times a year that reflect the newest trend in homebrewing, like their phantasm powder NEIPA they just introduced. A big plus for me personally, since I brew half batches, is they sell 1g and 2.5g versions of every recipe on the site. Also their customer service is top notch. They call me every time I order to make sure they've gotten the grains right. And last time, when I ordered the phantasm IPA but didn't get yeast (I had a jar of cosmic punch in the fridge), they called to make sure I knew I needed to use a GMO thiol yeast to actually make the phantasm work. They would have saved me from screwing up a very expensive recipe, if I hadn't known that. So I just eat the cost of shipping to get the great recipes and good customer service!

My LHBS Southern Hills Homebrew Supply in Roanoke,VA. Its a 45 minute drive to the place on a overcrowded interstate. When I need small orders I will order online, usually shipped the next day and arrives a couple of days later. Its a great store for large selection of ingredients and very knowledgeable owner.

I use Ritebrew.com now for most things. I also really like Farmhouse Brewing Supply, especially for their 10# grain specials and their 4 ounce packages of hops, but I haven't ordered from them in a while because I have a freezer full of hops already. :rolleyes: And every few years I place an order to Hops Direct. (that's a big part of why my freezer is full)

I hope Northern Brewer gets their act together. Latest reports look like maybe they are. They used to be a great company, and perhaps they still are. I love going to their store in person but haven't been since before Covid.
A couple of ancedotals: 1) recently ordered from Farmhouse with good results - placed order Sunday night and the package was on my front step on Wednesday. 2) in-store purchases this past summer at Midwest Supplies (Minneapolis) and Northern Brewer (St Paul) went well - everything I wanted was in stock (cash and carry for the win?)

I haven't (yet) ordered hops from Farmhouse; but the 4 oz package size is appealing for my 2.5-ish batches.

Back