What number efficiency when starting out all-grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BillTheSlink

Reaction score
Here's the problem,

My first all grain batch was a kit and I was planned on getting an efficiency number from that, but partway through I broke my thermometer, so I could not take a hydrometer reading. If your starting out and doing fly sparg, what should I figure my number to be when adjusting an existing recipe? I have converted the Requiem Raspberry to all grain using BeerSmith, but don't have any clue what to put down as my brew house efficiency to get an accurate grain bill. What would you say would be for batch sparg (might give that a whirl for the fun of it).

There are so many variables to that question to give an accurate answer. Your efficiency will depend on your equipment and other brewing habits. I would start with 70%.

I agree with the advice in the previous posts. I switched in June, and have done 5 AG batches. I started with a couple of pre-crushed kits, and was getting mid-60s for efficiency. I then started crushing my own. The first crush was low, because I wasn't crushing enough. The last two have been 70%+, and that seems to be the ballpark most people talk about, unless you're just determined to chase the numbers. Not for me, I intend to work on refining the beer, not the statistics.

Back