What Not To Do...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schlenkerla

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
This is an interresting photo of the neck of one of my primaries. My last amber I used homegrown cascades to aroma hop at flame out. Then I transfered to the primary and was too lazy to fish out the hops prior to the transfer.

I was a little :drunk:

Luckily, I used a PET Carboy and the blockage was not enough to completely clogg the blow-off. I used a carboy cap with a 3/8" hose for a blow off. If it really clogged and it was a glass carboy it would have popped and possibly have broken the carboy.

3761-BrewdayandBottling005b.jpg

Next time I'll use a 1" blow-off hose or fish out the hops!!!!

Hope you had a happy thanksgiving!!

:mug:

I got it! Kind of a stretch but that reminds me of younger days,right before a lighter blackened the top,and the sound of gurgling insued.

single.barrel said:
I got it! Kind of a stretch but that reminds me of younger days,right before a lighter blackened the top,and the sound of gurgling insued.

lol, EXACTLY. And what a wonderful color of green!

That is a great pic Schlenkerla. :rockin:

Ize

Last night, or really this morning, I decided to transfer last weeks beer to a secondary and pour last nights beer on the yeast cake. Seemed like a good idea at the time.

The trub and stuff took up more room than I thought it would, and I guess I did not have enough head space. It was 3:00 a.m. and I was tired and half druck, so I snapped the lid on, put in the airlock and finished cleaning up.

It started bubbling within 5 minutes. I couldn't believe it! I watched bubble faster and faster and then I went outside and got the drain hose from my cooler MLT and rigged a blow off hose into a beer bottle. When I woke up this morning, the bottle had krausen coming out of it and my bucket lid had about 6 ounces of beer water and krauson on the lid.

If I had not used a blow off hose on this one, it would have blown the lid. I have never seen on take off like this before. Drinking and brewing don't mix! I won't do that again until next Saturday night.

Back