What next? First AG/next brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MMBB

Reaction score
I did my first AG batch a few days back and I am anxious to brew again and improve my efficiency. I did the Centennial Blonde recipe and ended up with around 63% efficiency despite screwing up my mash temperature hard core. My strike water wasn't nearly hot enough and by the end of the mash the grain bed was only at around 142 degrees. I did pre-heat the cooler to 2deg above mash temp which helped slightly. I compensated with slightly raising the temperature of the sparge water (batch sparge) and letting the sparge water sit on the grains for ~10 minutes before draining the mash tun.

My main question is what should I brew next? I have two empty carboys that are begging to be filled! Obviously I won't be able to try the centennial blonde for a few weeks, especially because I am going to bottle carbonate, but I want to try and improve my efficiency. I am also going to get parts together for a brewladder with a HERMS this week and hopefully have it done by the end of the weekend. If not I still want to brew this coming weekend!

I did the centennial to cater to friends that are of the MBC crowd. The next one will be for me and beer loving friends. Maybe an IPA? I don't have anything to lager right now so it'd have to be an ale.

I'd do the same beer. This allows you to help take the recipe out of your process...Get this one dialed in, dial in your process, and then adjust from there!

But brew whatever beer you want to drink!

:mug:

Wally

Sounds like a plan! I just need to locate some centennial hops! That is, if I don't go to the zombie beer fest I found on Saturday!

Back