what method do you use for your plate chiller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

G-E-R-M-A-N

Reaction score
Do you gravity feed, or use a pump? I am highly considering using a pump. I think it will be easier, and help cool the beer quicker. I am not sure what temp my wort will be at while gravity feeding into the shirron, so I might need a pump to recirculate into the boil pot.

What is the preferred method of plate chilling? Do you put the plate in a cooler of ice after it cools down some?

What are some cheap mag driven pumps to consider? I am really not sure on the size to get.

Pumping is definitely the best way to go. Use a March 809-PL with a ball valve on the output to regulate flow rate into the plate chiller. It might not seem like a cheap pump at first; but after doing some research, you'll find it's the right way to go.

Gravity is fine as well with plate chillers. I have a couple Shirrons, and they are as fast as normally draining wort from your brew kettle. Always a good pitching temp, and in my opinion (always the scary part to hear), the least about of pressure the better, as it allows for less chance of something getting jammed up inside of it, like hops and other solids. Like I said, thats my opinion anyway.

Back