What makes an Imperial

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TommyBoy

Reaction score
Is it just that the ABV is above it's style range? An American wheat has a style rance of 4.0-7.0. I have a batch that should come out 7.2-7.5. I bought a little extra malt and decided to kick it up a little when brewing. I would like to be correct with it's style when sipping down with friends.

BTW, I racked this wheat into a secondary with 5lbs of strawberries and it currently tastes amazing. Very smooth going down the hatch and then you feel your chest heat up. This is my most anticipated batch to date.

For most styles this is subjective, as there are only a few BJCP styles that actually use the work Imperial.

Typically you're going to up the abv, which usually means that your IBU's go up as well.

Imperial is kind of a "prefix" to describe a beer with more "gusto" that the traditional stlye it portrays. Imperial Stout, Imperial IPA, Imperial Pilsner ect... In the way of ABV, body, maybe color or whatever the brewer wanted.:D

+1 Ohiobrewtus

Did you just thoroughly clean the strawberries before putting them in the secondary? That's a cool idea..

I cleaned them prior to freezing a month ago and then put them on the stove last night to pasteurize them.

For most styles this is subjective, as there are only a few BJCP styles that actually use the work Imperial.

Typically you're going to up the abv, which usually means that your IBU's go up as well.

I have never heard of an imperial in this style before. Hence the question. IBU's were at 18.4? (Trying to picture my Brewsmith page in my head as I am at work now.)

Its not letting me edit my old post.. oh well.. I have another question.. if Imperial is basically more balls to an existing style.. then what is the opposite?

Style 1B American Lite Lager..
IBU 8-12

Michelob Ultra has 3 IBUs so what does that make it?

Its not letting me edit my old post.. oh well.. I have another question.. if Imperial is basically more balls to an existing style.. then what is the opposite?

Style 1B American Lite Lager..
IBU 8-12

Michelob Ultra has 3 IBUs so what does that make it?

Maybe it's "Ultra"?

:D

Back