What makes a great American Wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcgster

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'm looking to brew an American wheat this weekend and it's my first time trying this style all grain. I'm looking for a recipe that would give me a good chance in a competition but when I look through the results from the NHBC table I see very few recipes for American wheats.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I certainly enjoy my fair share of American wheats but I have never built one from the ground up.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

All my favorite American wheat have a noticeable hop character.

I haven't made a wheat in a while but my recipe was something like this.

OG 1.050
IBU 25
50% two row
40% malted wheat
10% Munich

Aroma hop of your choice ( I had good results with Saaz, Liberty, centennial and Amarillo)
1/2 oz at 10 minutes
1 oz at flameout

Good fermentation for sure. Keep the beer refreshing, which usually means a clean finish, typically on the drier side for this style. If you use character smalls, use them sparingly.

I like to use hops like Willamette, Saaz, and Centential in my Wheat, but any good aroma hop is fine. Good examples have a nice hop character.

Do you have a recipe in mind?

I have a pack of Wyeast 1010 bubbling away in a yeast starter right now so that is what I plan on using for my yeast. What would you recommend for a ferment temperature. I have pretty good control of my fermentation temperatures using a water bath.

I notice for the german wheat beers that have won in competitions they all tend to you use decotation mashes. I have never tried this, but I assume it makes a noticeable difference in the quality of the beer given the frequency it appears in NHBC winners. Would the same apply for American Wheats? If its just a single infusion mash what should the mash temp be?

I do like the sounds of a simple recipe of:

40% Row2
50% Wheat
10% Munich

Is there room for anything else in here or is simple the best bet here.

I do have a pound of hallertau here so I would like to use that as suggested, maybe something different late in the boil to add a little bit of hop aroma.

I usually do a similar grain bill as above. Shoot for around 20-25 IBU, with cascade or cent thrown in around 15 min mark.

.5 oz of some nice aroma hop at 15, then bitter up to 20-25IBU's with the hallertau

I do not think you have to decoct an American Wheat.

A 148-152F mash is what I would use.

I have not used that yeast, so I am not sure about temperature.

I like the malt bill.

I think all the advice above looks very good. I brew an american wheat with 1010 yeast every 2 months or so. Basically the same as outlined above - 2 row/wheat/munich. I like Willamette and either cascade or centennial as hops. 20-25 IBU's here too. Infusion mash at 150. I try to ferment in the 64-68 degree range.... not letting the temp. get too warm. I think a real key is avoiding any of the stereotypical "wheat beer flavors" of the german variety - banana, clove, etc. Clean, refreshing, crisp, easy drinking.

I think the hallertau would work fine in this for one or both additions if you are looking to use it.

Thanks everyone, based on the input and what i have on hand here is what i have come up with:

Amt Name Type # %/IBU
5 lbs Wheat Malt, Pale (Weyermann) (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 50.0 %
4 lbs Brewer's Malt, 2-Row, Premium (Great Western) (2.0 SRM) Grain 2 40.0 %
1 lbs Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 3 10.0 %
1.00 oz Hallertauer [4.80 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 4 16.2 IBUs
1.00 oz Hallertauer [4.80 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 5 8.0 IBUs
0.50 oz Perle [8.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 6 2.7 IBUs
1.0 pkg American Wheat Ale (Wyeast Labs #1010) [124.21 ml] Yeast 7 -

Est Original Gravity: 1.051 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.009 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.5 %
Bitterness: 26.9 IBUs
Est Color: 4.1 SRM

WLP0029 Kölsch yeast fermented at 65F makes for a really good American Wheat. A tad better than WLP001 and those American Hefe strains. Can't relay go wrong with WLP001 though.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1395523808.790722.jpg

And now we wait :)

Brew day went great I used some acid malt so I could hold my pH between 5.5 and 5.4. Mash temp started at 149 and stayed between 149 and 150

This is an American Wheat recipe that is pretty popular at our parties.

Americam Wheat
5 lbs wheat
5 lb 2-row
1/2 lb flaked wheat
1 oz willamette 60 min
0.5 oz casacde 10 min
0.5 oz cascade 5 min
0.5 oz cascade 0 min
Wyeast 1010

If you wanted something different but still have some citrus taste you could use amarillo hops instead of cascade.
I also find that the flaked wheat helps to gives this some body in order to keep it from tasting thin.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
I brew a lot of American Wheats, but not a fan of Wy1010. Even fermented cool, it can have a slight estry (banana) aroma and flavor that's not appropriate and I’m not fond of. A cleaner ale yeast works better for my taste. The American Wheat style is so wide that you can pick a direction and run with it. Mine lean more toward a Wheat based Pale Ale/IPA, on the hoppier and higher OG end of the guidelines (and quite often over.)

Right now I have a version on tap that was hopped mostly with Nelson Sauvin. Bittered with a little Summit at 60 minutes, and a couple of ounces of Citra at flame-out for additional aroma. Very enjoyable combination. It’s 50% wheat with the rest of the bill being American 2-row and 5% Agava to dry it out. 1.071OG / 61 IBU's

Have fun with it!

IMO Kolsch yeast is a must for an American wheat beer. Wy1010 although labeled as American Wheat has too much ester production for the style. Go with Kolsch, you'll be happy with it.

I wish I would have experimented a bit more with this one but I went with the basic recipe. The beer is good but it lacks any defining qualities. Also, the wy1010 has left a hint of sulfur in the aroma which I think will clean up after awhile. Ferment temps were between 66 and 67

Will remake this with some hops at flameout!

Back