What makes a good brown ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djfriesen

Reaction score
I'm looking to put together a brown ale in an attempt to recreate a discontinued brew from Deschutes: Buzzsaw Brown.

I want to know what you guys look for in a brown and any hints on making those characteristics come through. I'm going to hop it up some, as that's the American characteristic that I enjoyed about this beer.

Basically, I need the "backbone" of a brown that I can adapt for the recipe at hand. I posted a first revision here, if you care to critique it. I couldn't get any help where I posted it, so I decided to try a more general approach over here.

Thanks for the help.

I've never had that beer. Is it an American Brown? Or more of a Southern English brown, or Northern English brown? I like all styles of brown ales, but there is a huge different between an American brown and the English styles so I'd need an idea of the type of beer it is before giving too much advice.

+1 to Yooper. I love brown ales of every stripe, but there are noticable differences emoung the various browns. Need more info as to your target before recipe suggestions can be made.

I'm looking to put together a brown ale in an attempt to recreate a discontinued brew from Deschutes: Buzzsaw Brown.

I want to know what you guys look for in a brown and any hints on making those characteristics come through. I'm going to hop it up some, as that's the American characteristic that I enjoyed about this beer.

Basically, I need the "backbone" of a brown that I can adapt for the recipe at hand. I posted a first revision here, if you care to critique it. I couldn't get any help where I posted it, so I decided to try a more general approach over here.

Thanks for the help.

2# of crystal 120 is gonna make this sucker dark...almost stout like IMO...maybe drop it down to 1 # and compensate with 1 # of lighter crystal (maybe 45 to keep that english style going?)...this will also give you more nutty notes characteristic of brown ales.

looks good though.

@ Yooper

When conferring with my brew partner-to-be, he told me that the thing he liked about the beer (and I share this opinion) was the hoppiness not necessarily found in a brown. The ingredients list provided by the brewer has Styrian Golding, EKG, US Goldings, and Northern Brewer. I have the NB as the bittering hops, and the others at about 15 minutes to get a little more flavor out of them. I still want to play around with that some, as I'm not too sure how to hit the right balance.

@ AZ

2 Row, C120, Buscuit, Chocolate, Aromatic, and Munich.

@ brewski

BrewTarget puts it at SRM 21 (the recipe I posted was for 7 gallons, in case that wasn't apparent) so I don't think it will be stout dark. But if your experience leads you to disagree, I'm sure I can tweak it some. I'm reluctant to add too much more diversity to the grainbill, so I would likely try to split the extra lb between Munich and Chocolate, or something like that.

Appreciate the feedback, all. I'm still really new to recipe formulation, so I like to pick others' brains as much as possible.

I'd do:

7lbs 2-row
1lb Munich
0.75lb C120
0.5lb chocolate
0.25lb biscuit
0.25lb aromatic

Northern Brewer hops for bittering to ~28 IBUs
1-2 oz of Goldings at 0

Ringwood Ale yeast

Good luck! :mug:

This is my flagship Brown. This is from my last brew of it and I have not "tweaked" the hops yet so it is a fairly hoppy brown (I like it) and a little out of style. If you want a good base recipe and just make the hop schedule to your liking you may like this one!

Style: American Brown Ale
Category:10C
Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Volume: 6.91 gal Boil Time: 90 min
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %

(My water is very soft, almost identical to Pilsen)

9.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain
1.00 lb Victory Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 30L (30.0 SRM) Grain
0.75 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (80.0 SRM) Grain
0.50 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain
0.50 lb Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain
1.25 oz Centennial (Whole 10.00%) (60 min)
0.75 oz Centennial (Whole 10.00%) (30 min)
0.50 oz Cascade (Whole 8.6%) (5 min)
1.50 oz Cascade (Whole 8.6%) (0 min)
Whirlfloc Tablet (10 min)
Yeast Nutrient (10 min)
WLP005 (1L starter)

Hold mash at 154.0 F for 60 min
90 min Boil
Primary 21 days @ 64°

OG ~ 1.060
FG ~ 1.020 style=(1.010 - 1.016)
SRM ~ 22
IBU's ~ 53.9 style=(20 - 40)

So the darker Brown's with that Crystal are typical of Southern English Browns. From Jamil's book:

7# British Pale Ale malt (American 2 row for American style)
1# Crystal 80L
10 oz Crystal 120L
.5# Special Roast 50L
6 oz Pale Chocolate (200L)
.25# Carafa Special II (430L)

That's about a 1.041 OG grain bill

Because it's supposed to be a clone of Deschutes Buzzsaw Brown for a friend.

Back