What Makes A Good Brew Kettle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skarekrough

Reaction score
I've been using one of the big old Turkey Fryers for awhile and done well with them. The thought has always been to upgrade to SS when a goof feal for one came along.

This past week while out I noticed a very large stainless steel "stock pot" style pot on the shelf for a decent price.

I snapped it up.

I keep on looking at it and thinking twice. It's about 8 gallons worth of pot but it more wide than it is tall.

This could be a good thing since with my tall pot I tended not to be able to stir enough and would consistently have burns on the bottom, some which required sandpaper to remove.

However I never had to be concerned about a boil over.

So I'm kind of confounded as to what to do. It's not designed for brewing and doesn't have a thermometer or a valve. And by the time I add a weldless one I'm pretty close to one of the kettles designed for brewing.

What say the masses?

a wide pot will soak up more BTU's from the flame/burner, but you get more evaporation. the best pot is not to tall or to wide,but mostly thick walled so it will last you forever. anything smaller than 8 gals is no good for full boils. 10 gals is even better. a valve can be added anytime. I have used my keggle for well over a year and I still dont have a valve on it. Dont blow your money on some super thin pot that will not last.

I bought a 60 qt pot that is wider than it is tall. I haven't used it yet, but I think it will work just fine. It's made of 6 mm thick aluminum, and this thing is built like a tank. It doesn't taper down in thickness, and it's sturdy as a mo fo. I figure if it's sturdy, and big enough to expand my brewery in the future, then it's perfect. I always boiled off 2 gallons in an hour with my 32 qt turkey fryer pot. So we'll see how much I boil off now.

If you are on a burner outside, IMO, I say make a keggle. I love mine...

Back