What kind of pump can do this?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stoutaholic

Reaction score
I'm setting up a gas/outdoor brewing system and am looking for a pump that can transfer hot liquid (up to 212 degrees) between two kettles. I've heard that people typically use a March pump with a magnetic drive, but because this model is not self-priming, I'm not sure if it will work for what I want to do. What I want to accomplish is illustrated by the following diagram:

pump.jpg

The pump needs to pull hot liquid from the bottom of one kettle and transfer it, via tubing, to the bottom of another kettle. I don't want to have to rely on any valves that have to be attached to the side of either kettle, as it would be much cheaper and easier to acquire kettles without valves.

Thanks,
Shaun

You may want to look into a peristaltic pump. Unfortunately it is hard to find a pump that is food grad, safe for high temps, self priming and under $150. The peristaltic pumps can perhaps be had on ebay for a good price, if you can be patient.

Cheaper to get the kettles, yes, however the pump will cost you more. Are you able to make a gravity fed system? Then you would just need a ball valve on one kettle, and no pump.

Just port your kettles, it really is easy to do weldless fittings. That way you don't need a self priming pump. I have a self priming pump which I can only use on the cold side of my chiller since it can't handle the heat. It has to suck the wort through the chiller instead of pushing it through. I always prime the whole system with sanitizer before I start chilling, so that eliminates any delay, but the self priming doesn't always work like it is supposed to. Now that I've put a weldless fitting on my HLT I wish I had just done that with my kettle too.

Back