What kind of keg to I have?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MidRex

Reaction score
I currently have 3 kegs. 2 of them are definitley cornys. I know because it says it on them and the gas in needs the 12pt socket. On my bastard keg that I just picked up yesterday....it really doesn't say anything to tell me what kind it is. Both the gas in and bev out are the same size 7/8. I could not get the poppets out of the posts. They also look different than my other 2. They have longer 3 posts at the bottom of the poppet. I tried to put my other keg posts from one of my corny's on it and they didn't seem like they would seat well due to the fact that they hit the rubber on the top of the keg before fully tightening. So I guess...how do I get the poppets out and what kind of keg do I have?

Thanks

The only other soda keg company that I know of is Firestone, so that may be who made your bastard keg. As far as the posts are concerned, even though they seem to be the same size, remember where each post came off of and return it to that exact same spot. Trust me, I got both of mine mixed up and ended up destroying a QD to get it off the wrong post.

Hope this helps. :mug:

Well...not sure if I can return them to the same spot now since I let them soak overnight in some oxyclean. I can't remember which is which. Is there a way to tell?

Also, how do I get this poppets out of these posts? On my corny's they came out pretty easily. I tried using a small screwdriver to free them up, but it is like they are locked in there somehow.

Thanks...I never knew that before. My posts for this keg look like the one on the far left. Not sure if that helps determine the kind of keg. I'm pretty sure my cornys have the post all the way to the right.

do you have a digital camera? pics always help.

usually the keg will have the manufacturer imprinted on the steel on the side of the keg. it can be difficult to see sometimes, but it should be there. it will tell you the manufacturer as well as the series (firestone has many different series, and some of them have different poppets).

i have many kegs that the poppet stays in the post. what i usually do is get screw driver and move it around some, and use needle nose pliars sometimes to help.

I'll check it again after I get home from work. Thanks for the help guys.

are you sure that is the manufacturer? usually it would be eithe cornelius or firestone, with the series after the name. are there any model numbers?

Back