What kind of keg is this?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigTerp

Reaction score
I'm about to buy 4 of these from a guy about an hour away. I'm concerned they are converted pin lock kegs since there is no pressure relief valve. I need true ball locks to fit properly in my keg. What do you guys think this keg is? Converted pin lock? Thanks!!!

imagejpeg_2.jpg

How big is the base diamater? Depending on whether it is 8" or 9" we can tell you what kind of keg it is.

I would guess it is a converted pin-lock based on the lid, but you can buy lids with pressure relief valves for about $22

Looking at the dimple on the plastic of the handle which shows the gas in side, I would say it is a ball lock.

Pin locks have different QDs, so no need to mark the plastic top. I know ball locks do also, but the pin locks pins make it impossible to switch QD's where as a ball lock CAN fit over a different post if you press it hard enough.

Of course I also could be wrong and it could be common with both kegs to mark the top like that, but I have only seen a few pin locks and never paid any mind to the handles.

it is a pin-lock keg from coke. they don't have the pressure release but instead it is a burst-proof valve. the pinlocks have been changed out for ball locks. (i can't see the pins) OR it is a ball lock keg from pepsi and the center has been changed out.

from the looks of the handles and post positions (opposite of each other), i would say ball-lock. pin-lock post are toward one side and the handles are next to each other.

b

It's a ball lock keg, with a pin lock lid. There are a ton of frakenkegs out there. It's not a big deal.

Thanks guys. I went ahead and made the trip and bought all 4. 2 are Firestone Challenger VI and 2 are Spartenburg Challenger VI. All 4 say "property of pepsi-cola....." on them. They are all 8"in diameter. Weird thing is all the gas in tubes smell like soda syrup. So they obviously haven't been used in awhile. Maybe someone along the
line swapped out their pin lock lids for these lids?? 3 of them have the plastic gas in dip tubes, which sucks. Looks like I'll be doing a bit of drilling to swap those things out. All 4 were holding pressure, which was the biggest concern for me. Excited to get these things cleaned up and finish my keezer build.

Same O-rings, the plastic gas tubes were apparently original equipment for certain corny kegs.

Back