What kind of honey?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mencken

Reaction score
Hey all, thinking of brewing my first mead soon. I don't know what to look for when I'm buying honey. What attributes/types in particular should I be looking into? Thanks

Hey all, thinking of brewing my first mead soon. I don't know what to look for when I'm buying honey. What attributes/types in particular should I be looking into? Thanks

Attributes and types of honey to look for depend on what you're looking to create. One of the best resources for honey types, flavors, attributes is the National Honey Board (Honey Locator - The National Honey Board). Not only will it break it down by variety, it is a great resource to find suppliers near you and see what they carry.

Also take some time and read the Mead Faq Sticky by Hightest. Loaded with information.

Happy brewing and good luck.

That's a good link, thanks. And yah, I've read through a lot of the very helpful FAQ. My plan is to brew a traditional mead first, and possibly a second slightly more exotic one. It takes so long before the mead is ready to drink that I might as well do two batches.

I live in Philly, and there's a good honey place that's walking distance from me. I'll be bringing my laptop along when I go to buy, haha

Back