What kind of bottles do you use??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pa-in-utah

Reaction score
Just curious what type of bottles everyone is using. Does anyone use 16oz P.E.T. bottles??

i like the 12 oz actaully... i seem to regulate my drinking better....

i also have the 22oz... but i've noticed that my beer disappears faster like that.

I have all in all about six cases of the Sam Adams bottles but various others.

I'm going to buy a couple cases of the 22oz. I'd like to have all 22oz, less work at bottling time.

I just had to give up my big 5 gallon cans when I moved, so now that I am bottling again I used all 22s. Less work at bottling time, and a good amount to drink in the evening.

I like to use 16 oz glass swingtop bottles on the occasions that I do bottle, but 16 oz PET's will be fine for bottling your brew.

I have almost 6 cases of 12oz's. I only asked about the PET bottles to see if others were using them. I have a case of PET botles for another project or if I get into a pinch and need some extra's for bottling.

If you want to build a bottle collection the best thing is to find 16 oz. returnables. It is usually inexpensive beer and the cases and bottles are hard core! I have mine reserved specifically for my wheat beers as they can handle the carbonation levels.

Other than that, Franziskaner bottles (the large .5 liter or whatever they are) are actually returnable bottles sold as non returns. The case of 20 runs you like $35 + tax though, but it is great beer so no real loss there.

zoebisch01 said:
If you want to build a bottle collection the best thing is to find 16 oz. returnables. It is usually inexpensive beer and the cases and bottles are hard core! I have mine reserved specifically for my wheat beers as they can handle the carbonation levels.

Other than that, Franziskaner bottles (the large .5 liter or whatever they are) are actually returnable bottles sold as non returns. The case of 20 runs you like $35 + tax though, but it is great beer so no real loss there.
I got the majority of mine in Germany including the racks for just the deposit.:D

All glass with a mix of 22 and 12oz. I like the 12's cause I don't drink too much each night:D The 22's are less work but my beer goes bye bye very quick with them.

Dan

I use mostly large bottles. Especially Martillies bottles. Yes they'r green but there 24 oz and I keep them in the dark. They're easy to come by during the holidays. I aggree with above, 22 oz is easier to bottle but the beer goes quicker!

i bought tons of 22 oz bottles when i started brewing, so they keep getting recycled. i bought a couple of cases of 12 oz so i could have a "few beers at night" and not put down 66 oz of brew. haven't needed to clean any bottles since what i bought pretty much keeps me covered (i go through my brew pretty quick.) if i do need more, i think i'm going to start peeling labels and using some other bottles, cuz why spend money when they work just as well?

onecolumbyte said:
I use mostly large bottles. Especially Martillies bottles. Yes they'r green but there 24 oz and I keep them in the dark. They're easy to come by during the holidays. I aggree with above, 22 oz is easier to bottle but the beer goes quicker!

I've looked around for the Martinelli bottles, have heard suggestions about using them many a time.

Does an Emily capper work with them? I've also heard champagne bottles work well. I wish I had been into homebrewing when my sister got married.. they bought all their own alcohol and had tons of empty Sam Adams bottles and champange bottles.. Oh well :drunk:

I've got 8 cases of 12oz bottles about half of which are SA bottles, the others plain jane. I also have about 12 cases of 16oz plain brown bottles which I prefer, if I'm going to bottle. I also have 9 mini-kegs (which I've come to despise) and 7 cornies.
Thinking about picking up 6 to 8 more cornies. One can never have too much beer on hand. Never know when a party is going to break out.

I use the 16 oz PET bottles. They are real easy to clean and bottle. The down side is I only get about 36-38 bottles from a five gallon batch so I go dry quicker.

Right now I have about 3 1/2 cases of 12 oz. which are holding good brew. Got a case of 22 oz, and 5 cornies with nothing in them yet. Still working on getting my keggerator going. Once that materializes, will probably bottle only for portability.

I use whatever I can get my hands on as long as they are pop tops. Hate the idea of paying for bottles. I even use clear bottles and keep them in the drak because I work in a bar where Newcastle is about the only good beer anyone drinks so I have easy access to clear pop tops. Have alot of Sam Adams bottles too. I make an effort to drink anything in clear bottles in the house so I have the dark ones left when I want to take them to a party that is outdoors.

I got a bunch of Grolsch pint flip-tops, some 12oz, and some 22oz. Upgrading to a mini-keg system soon though :)

I use:
12, 16, and 22oz brown crowns
16 and 20oz fliptop (Grolsch and Fischer)
1.5 liter fliptops (Grolsch)
3 gallon & 5 gallon kegs.

It all depends on what I've brewed and who its for.

Wild

I use 12oz Sam Adams bottles right now. Got about 4-5 cases of them. Hopefully, I'll be kegging in a few months, so the bottles will be sent to the back corner of the garage.

I have 6 cases of 12 oz and 14 cases of Hacker Pschor 16 oz bottles. I really like the 16 oz. Cuts bottling time and is a nice serving size.

homebrewer_99 said:
I got the majority of mine in Germany including the racks for just the deposit.:D

Are you trying to upset me???!?! :D

Man that rocks. I do love your racks...er uhm...well you know what I mean :p

when im not kegging its coors/mliller lt. 16 oz. there perfect,never a problem
easy to label, clean up nice and you can carb em high and not worry.

I used to use 22oz cobalt blue grolsch bottles until I got my kegerator up and running....now I have about 72 of them just sitting around. I keep hoping one of my buddies'll take up homebrewing so I can offload half of them.

Dangit.. If I were closer to NJ I might take some of those off your hands.. SWMBO loves her stuff to be bottled in the blue bottles (okay so she is weird.. what of it)

Normally I use the green and brown 16oz Grolesh bottles I have... I have some 12oz Sam Adams and Longtrail bottles too (Exactly like SA except no script writing).. I still want to get into kegging but as I don't drink quite enough to justify it yet... Going to have to start having our weekly get togethers at our house.. then I can get a keg setup!!

SpamDog

I have about 4 cases of 12 oz.
1 case of 16oz. flip tops (generic)
soon to be 5 cases of ,5 liter bottles (German Hefe with the plastic case)
and I just gave 18 OLD Grolsch bottles to my uncle who only bottles his beer-these were very cool and about 30 years old. Nicely adorned with embossed artwork on the side. I have started kegging and really have too many bottles, but every commercial pop-top I buy gets cleaned and saved (nasty habbit).

Back