What kind of beer glass is this?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like a Pilsner glass to me...but what do I know. :tank: Anyway...put some beer in it and it'll be a 'beer glass'!!!!

It's a tulip Pint glass
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pint_glass <scroll down a bit and look to the right.

337px-Pint_Glass_with_some_beer.jpg

I've seen these sold as Pilsner glasses. If you had a pint glass next to it, the differences would be more apparent. Also, the glass on these is thicker, more substantial than traditional pilsner glasses.

A Pilsener glass normally has a stem like a wine glass, or a handle, same function your hands don't touch the beer and warm it up. It's not a tulip pint glass as it's shaped more like a half pint glass. If it holds a pint then I'd call it a continental pint glass and it would typically be sold with Kronenbourg or similar in it, If it's a half pint volume then over here where we use a lot of them it's just called a half pint glass, or if someone were to order a glass of beer as opposed to a pint, that's the glass they would get. It's kinda just a generic shape but I'm sure that it has some model name.
A pint of bud would be sold in something similar here too.

Generally I think of a pilsner glass as having tall, tapering sides, with a small, or no, stem. Sometimes they have a tulip shape at the top, but I think a true tulip glass has a stem on it, so I'd probably call that glass you show a tulip pint. A cross between a pint glass and a tulip glass.

I suppose you guys have your own ideas of what a pilsener glass is, although Google seems to be agreeing, that said if I search the English Pilsener glass I get 50:50 with those glasses and stemmed ones, but if I search Pils Glas, German. Then I get almost exclusively stemmed glasses.

Search 1/ [ame="http://www.google.ie/search?hl=en&rlz=1G1GGLQ_ENIE297&q=Pilsener+glass&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&biw=1920&bih=902"]Pilsener Glass - English[/ame]

Search 2/[ame="http://www.google.ie/search?um=1&hl=en&rlz=1G1GGLQ_ENIE297&biw=1920&bih=902&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=Pils+glas&oq=Pils+glas&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&gs_sm=e&gs_upl=93303l96791l0l2l2l0l0l0l0l166l292l0.2"]Pils Glas - German[/ame]

In any case in American nomeclature it'd appear to be a pilsener glass.

I got the same glasses from a $1 store. Walmart used to sell them 4 for $6. To me that's both a pint and a pils glass. BTW, its exactly 20 oz. so the size of a pint glass.
2011-05-18_11-22-24_564.jpg

Its a weizen glass. I have one the same shape from my friends wedding, i remember describing what kind of glass it was to him. I prefer to drink alot of my beer out of a coke shaped glass though somehow this cheap(coke) glass became my favorite.

Nope. They're much longer and have a much narrower waist against a wide upper part.

http://www.google.ie/search?q=weize...&source=og&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wi&biw=1920&bih=902

It is similar but not half tall enough.

If you were from Germany i would stop here. But although i admire the Irish and have some heritage than:mug:. I must say though ,weizen glasses have different shapes. If its not a weizen type glass what is it then?. I researched this glass before and that was my conclusion.

I have the same glasses and use them for beer :D

But really, I normally put my weiss' or pilsners in them. I have a bunch of regular/imperial pint glasses that I would use for anything requiring a pint glass.

If you were from Germany i would stop here. But although i admire the Irish and have some heritage than:mug:. I must say though ,weizen glasses have different shapes. If its not a weizen type glass what is it then?. I researched this glass before and that was my conclusion.

I worked in Germany for the best part of ten years in the bar and restaurant game...sonst noch was?

No answer then?, Im gonna say americanized version of a weizen glass. I like drinking hefs and pale ales out of them. I do like the sierra nevada hefeweizen glass, i must get one of those the shape is awesome.

No answer then?, Im gonna say americanized version of a weizen glass. I like drinking hefs and pale ales out of them. I do like the sierra nevada hefeweizen glass, i must get one of those the shape is awesome.

I already gave an opinion, read back a bit.

Pilseners are tall/fluted. Not pilsener

Wheat glasses are tall and tuliped. This is too squat for that.

Stout glasses usually have flat, slanted sides. (I have a guinness glass that is pretty close to that tho).

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say this squat slightly-tuliped glass should contain a strong IPA / IIPA.

Pilseners are tall/fluted. Not pilsener

Wheat glasses are tall and tuliped. This is too squat for that.

Stout glasses usually have flat, slanted sides. (I have a guinness glass that is pretty close to that tho).

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say this squat slightly-tuliped glass should contain a strong IPA / IIPA.

Thank you.

I have picked up that glass and a few others from my local Dollar Tree. They have some kinda cool ones. I have no idea how to classify them though.

Seems any type of glass that looks like it should hold beer at any big chain store is always referred to as a pilsner glass.

Noticed he said "going out on a limb".Ill stick with an american hef.Because most of amercians are stout hefs. Ha. I will still pour a stout, or porter pale or hef in it. Its like a pint glass to me with a little more. Its not really a tulip, a coke glass is more tulip than this.

Dollar Tree has some great beer glasses. I picked up a bunch of the tulips with stems to use and give away with my homebrew and also picked up these heavy wine type glasses that do not baloon at all and make a great Trappist chalice.

If they were packaged in the Target Libbey 12 piece international beer set box, like mine were, they're designated as BAVARIAN pilsner glasses.

41nLDcBMaBL._AA121_.jpg

The set is made up of- 4 16-ounce English Pub glasses, 4 15-ounce Czech Pilsner glasses, and 4 15-ounce Bavarian Pilsner glasses

I have found some great goblets at thrift stores. Really looking for a tall thin pils style for my wheats. Not that easy to find but I guess I haven't gone out of my way. Target has a set bit they are a little pricey.

TwoGunz said:
Dollar Tree has some great beer glasses. I picked up a bunch of the tulips with stems to use and give away with my homebrew and also picked up these heavy wine type glasses that do not baloon at all and make a great Trappist chalice.

+1

They've got a surprisingly good variety and you don't feel bad if you accidentally break them. If you find a style you like though, grab up a bunch because chances are when you go back they'll be gone. I found a nice tulip glass that I wish I had a few more of.

+1

They've got a surprisingly good variety and you don't feel bad if you accidentally break them. If you find a style you like though, grab up a bunch because chances are when you go back they'll be gone. I found a nice tulip glass that I wish I had a few more of.

Yeah, I'm going back and getting a tulip glass for myself. Seems like a must have glass for a beer enthusiast.

Back