What kind of beer did I make??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shildebr

Reaction score
I went to my LHBS yesterday intending to get the ingredients for an American Wheat. I tweaked my old recipe to include some flaked wheat, and the guy was out of flaked wheat, :( so I had to change my plans because I didn't feel like brewing another batch of the same Am Wheat recipe.

Anyways, I started looking through some issues of BYO he had on the shelf and came across what was labeled as a gold medal winning recipe for a Northern English Brown.

It sounded like a delicious recipe (far from American Wheat for sure) but I don't really see how this can be considered a Northern English Brown, it seems closer to a porter than anything, I think.

Like I said, I'm sure it will be delicious, but can you help me identify the style?? I'm assuming it must fall into some category, or else I don't know how it would win a gold medal?

Type: All Grain
Date: 5/10/2008
Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Size: 6.30 gal
Boil Time: 60 min
Brewhouse Efficiency: 78.0

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
7 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) UK (3.0 SRM)
1 lbs 8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 90L (90.0 SRM)
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM)
8.0 oz Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM)
8.0 oz Special Roast (50.0 SRM)
1.00 oz Styrian Goldings [5.40%] (60 min) Hops 17.9 IBU
1 Pkgs SafAle English Ale (DCL Yeast #S-04) Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile

Measured Original Gravity: 1.050 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.013 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 4.8 %
Bitterness: 17.9 IBU Calories: 220 cal/pint
Est Color: 26.6 SRM

Mashed at 156-ish for 60 minutes. Double batch sparged.

Thanks for the help!

I don't see any thing that would make it a porter. No roasty notes. It looks like a Northern English brown?

The chocolate malt? I thought maybe a brown porter.

I guess I don't care so much what it is, just that my buddies like to sample (inhale) my brews and always ask me "So what type of beer is this?"

I guess I could just say 'Its an Ale', that should get some 'I understand' head nods from most of my friends.

I would put it between a Northern Brown and a very crystally brown porter... the special roast (which is superb in both browns and porters) gives a good amount of roast and with chocolate it'd give the porter-ish taste. But mashing at 156 would leave it maltier more like a brown...

I'd consider it a northern brown.

"Gentle to moderate malt sweetness, with a nutty, lightly caramelly character and a medium-dry to dry finish. Malt may also have a toasted, biscuity, or toffee-like character."

Though, arguments in favor of porter would be that the description of a porter is damn near identical, and the IBU's are a little over Northern Brown guidelines.

Basically i'd taste it against a Northern Brown and a Brown Porter and see which one it tastes more like.

So The IBU's and the Dark Brown color gave me a Homebrewing hard on :cross:

but I digress

It's almost Northern Brown...almost Nut Brown...almost Porter

if your a fan of South Park...you should name his brew "ManBearPig"

"It's half man, half bear, and half pig....I'm cereal"

So The IBU's and the Dark Brown color gave me a Homebrewing hard on :cross:

but I digress

It's almost Northern Brown...almost Nut Brown...almost Porter

if your a fan of South Park...you should name his brew "ManBearPig"

"It's half man, half bear, and half pig....I'm cereal"

not to be a stickler most Nut Browns are Northern Browns, there's a couple southern browns that are call nut browns too, i have no idea why they're called nutbrowns i've never tasted nut in a single one of them...

Back