What kettle to buy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scientifics

Reaction score
I currently do 5 gal extract and am looking to move to BIAB or partial mash. I want to invest in a good kettle so I don't outgrow it again. Do I get 10 or 15 gal? What's your favorite stainless pot?

I use a Coors light keg. A 15 gallon would be my recommendation because of the extra space. I can do 15 lb grain bills with 8 gallons of water easy. I'm not sure a it would fit into a 10 gallon pot but I could see it being just about max.

For the money, I'm really happy with my 15 gallon Tall Boys. I've got 3, for the electric build I'm in the process of putting together. If you feel like you may want to get more into it, definitely skip the 10 and go with 15.

I bought a 4 pack for a good price that had 10 15 20 and 35g. I never use them 10 Even though I make 5-6 gallon batches.

just got this 16 gal with valve and bazooka tube delivered for $162. It has gallon markings which I really like but the lid diesn't fit just right. If you plan to mash in it I would add the thermometer. Best deal I could find and it is a perfect size for 10 gallon batches

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007V493PG/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
I just received a Spike Brewing 15 gal kettle for my birthday and I'm impressed. Heavy, nice welds and they offer horizontal or vertical port placement. Horizontal ports seem like the call for BiaB. I don't think you can go wrong with Spike.

d

I also have a Spike kettle, with welded ports for ball valve, thermometer and sight glass. I agree.. can't go wrong. Great price for a high quality product.

Concord stainless kettles on eBay for decent quality at a great price!

10 gallon kettle if you will not be going larger than 5 gallon batches. 15 gallon for occasional 10 gallon batches, and the big boy 20 gallon if you will be regularly brewing 10 gallon batches.

Back