What is your oldest beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nukinfuts29

Reaction score
So everyone here preach's patience and waiting as long as possible to age your booze. So in the spirit of that, what is the oldest beer (or cider, wine, etc) that you brewed that you still have not consumed?

22 months. Old English ale very similar to the 11-11-11 ale. I've had a few tasters, just to be sure all is going well every two months and it is better every time. Going to have it for new years.

4 months is my record so far, but I'm lucky if a keg lasts 2 weeks after it's tapped. 15 gallons a month is average consumption. I have the capacity to brew 10 gallon batches, and need to do more of them, but I really enjoy my 3 brew days a month. Just picked up a few more kegs, so I can put some stuff aside to age for longer.

I still have a few bottles of a 16% barleywine I brewed 9/26/09

I admire some of you guys, I doubt I will get any of mine past a year. I'm going to try REALLY hard to keep from drinking the first one I ever bottled, which is an Apfelwein. The trick is keeping it away and my fridge full.

I've had a pumpkin brown go over a year (only one to go over a year). It was gone on Halloween this year (naturally). I have a 12 pack of 12% Belgian strong that will be a year old on the day after X-mas and it may not live a day after that.

Since I just got back into brewing recently, 6 months is my oldest. I am brewing a Trippel this weekend that I'm going to try and hide until the holidays next year.

I have an Imperial Stout coming up on 2 years. My goal is to hit four years for the last bottle.

Oldest homebrew in the house: 3 year old brune
Oldest commercial in the house: 1988 JW Lee harvest ale

I have a 12 pack of the 1st batch of beer I ever brewed it is about 1 year and 9 months old.

I have a pale ale from 2008 that fermented a little warm that i didn't like so i bottled and forgot about it untill just now......

I also have 11% abv barley wine will be 3 years old next month. thats some good stuff.

I have bottles that are two, maybe 3 years old in various closets in my condo. My latest batch of Apfelwein will be 2 years old at Christmas. I have my 17% abv barleywine that will be aging for another 3.75 years til I'm 50.

My Imperial Stout is 2+ years old, on tap, pours with an amazing margarine head and tastes ohhh so good. I also have a mead I made for my wedding that is 2.5+ years old, so it's just hitting it's stride.

I don't have any aged beer. I make mostly "session" beers and I don't age them at all.

But I do age several of my wines. I think I have some wines from 2006. Since I tend to make fruit wines, I don't let them age very long but some of the bigger bold reds last far longer and I will age a few of them.

Oldest mead is from 2007...drank up the last of the '06's last holidays (really glad I started doing 6 gallon batches of mead when I did!)

Oldest homebrew beer is probably only a year...definitely should start planning something stronger and ageable like Revvy posted...

I do have some commercial brews aging out from as far back as 2005...I think the oldest is a Great Divide Hercules DIPA (I know people say how IPA's are better fresh, but I'd say 'different' -- a strong IPA turns into a malty, barleywine like brew as the hops mellow...)

I make a lot more beer than I drink. I rarely have a batch that doesn't last at least 4-6 months. I give a lot away, but I only have so much time to be bottling things up to give away, so plenty of beer sits around waiting to be drunk. Looking at my brew logs, everything I'm serving right now is at least 4.5 months old.

I don't brew 'aging' beers very often. The RIS I brewed last december is my oldest. That was the first beer I had brewed over 7% ABV in a few years.

I actually just dumped a keg of Mild that was over 2 years old. I never liked it, I just didn't get around to dumping it until now.

I do not know if this counts but I made an apple mead that I am going to timeline 1 bottle over the next 25 years...I made it for my wedding and each year on our anniversary we will have a bottle leading all the way up to the big 25th celebration bottle.

I'm very anti-drinking the same thing over and over again generally, so it takes me a long time to go through a 5 gallon batch of anything. I've also got the "Eyes bigger than my stomach (liver?)" syndrome so I tend to buy/make more beer (and wine, and chocolate, and etc..) than I can reasonably consume.

I'm pretty sure I've got random bottles of my first brews, mostly from kits, from '06-'07ish. I definitely have a bottle or two of my Wedtoberfest that I brewed in March of last year and I just last night found a 6-pack of the pre-wedtoberfest test batch from March '09.

I have a couple bottles of a blonde I brewed up in 2009 sitting in the basement. I also have a brown ale I had stashed a hand full of bottles in a tote I ran across a couple weeks ago that is well over a year old and I must say is extremely tasty.

Now that I think of it I have one or two bottles of a variety of styles that are around three years old. I had set them aside back when I was making kits and forgot about them. I open one now and then--haven't found anything very good though.

My Whiskely ale lasted well over 15 weeks. That's the longest any of mine have lasted. I'm hoping the Burton ale I bottled a couple of weeks ago will be ready for Christmas with an OG of 1.065. My biggest brew to date. The 2nd version will be more like 1.075+ to get it closer the original #3 Burton's OG. That one may well take a while.
I generally brew mid-gravity ales with about a 2 month turn around. Not a lot of agers.

I've got 3 bottles left of a 11% RIS that I brewed in April of '09. Never quite carbed up as much as I wanted, but damn is it tasty!

My dad said he was rearranging his bar fridge a month or so ago and found a bottle of a wee-heavy I brewed for him in 08.

I have a couple bottles left of my first brew - ahs anniversary amber that are 7 months old. It was a bit too hoppy for my tastes in the beginning but now it's mellowed and awesome.

If we're talking wine I have around 20 bottles of amarone from Mar '10. It's my misfit wine. I made it when I idiotically fermented it directly on my cold concrete floor and had a stuck fermentation and came out watery because I only had water for topoff in the secondary. Tastes ok, but I'm pretty sure there was a mini fermenation because of all the sediment in the bottles. Wish I could give it away...

I still have a bottle or two of my first brew - a honey lager from a kit - but I've been saving them for some sort of special occasion, and I don't imagine that they're really all that great at this point. It's not a beer for aging.

Generally, my kegs seem to last 6-8 months. I just finished up a scotch ale that I brewed eight months ago.

There are beers that age well, and there are beers that fare rather poorly after a few months - my Fresh Hop IPA is pretty bland at this point, and it's only been a few months since I harvested the hops and brewed it.

With all the batches of things I have going on I'm betting it will be easy to save than I thought. For the sake of having an actual plan I'm going to label and save my first bottle of everything I make and store it away.

Sent from my Galaxy S 4G using Home Brew Talk for Android

I have some bottles of an Imperial Maple Brown that are getting close to two years old. It came out too sweet and harsh so I don't really like it and it gets pushed to the back while the tasty beers get finished and more are made.

I have a few bottles of stout from 15 years ago, 1 bottle of robust porter from 2 years ago, and a 3 gallon carboy full of muscadine wine from 2 years ago. I also have 2 5 gal kegs that were full of beer when I bought them a year ago from another HBT member.

I have 8 bottles left of a RIS that is 15 months old. A barley wine brewed last New Year's eve that hasn't been touched yet and a few bottles of ED Wort original apfelwein that was made last April. Plus, some of Yoopers banana wine that I won't touch for a couple more years.

I have two 22oz bottles left of a Chimay Blue clone I brewed back in September of 2009. Tried one back in the summer and it is really good. I also have about a 12 pack of a Honey Ale that I made back in June of '09. I'm pretty good at hiding beer from myself. Keeping it sitting around warm while I have six beers on tap helps too.

I dont keep beers long. If i'm spending money on it i want to drink it. I just need to by in pairs and hide the other. I got two Saint Arnolds Pumkinator that are 3 months old. I know one wont make it pass Christmas and idk about the other one lol

I admire some of you guys, I doubt I will get any of mine past a year. I'm going to try REALLY hard to keep from drinking the first one I ever bottled, which is an Apfelwein. The trick is keeping it away and my fridge full.

It's actually not too hard to do. Stick it in a box, hide it, and forget about that box.

I have some 2 year old Nut Brown Ale. It had a foaming problem and wasn't very good, but most of it is gone. There are probably 6-8 bottles left. Usually my brews last 3-4 months, except I'll save one or two last bottles for longer. But even these don't last forever.

I have a keg of barley wine that is going to be cellared until my son is 21. He and the beer are both 2 years old now. I also have about 40 gallons of double IPA that is about 3 years old, and that is just because that gets brewed 3 times a week. My wife has an open fermented Belgian strong and a grouse that are going on three years down in the cellar, and a Scottish wee heavy that gets tapped every Christmas for the past 4 years.

With all the batches of things I have going on I'm betting it will be easy to save than I thought. For the sake of having an actual plan I'm going to label and save my first bottle of everything I make and store it away.

I tend to drink all mine within a few weeks after their carbed. I have however, started keeping a bomber of each one and putting a label on them and putting them on a display shelf. I am hoping that doing this will encourage me to save more. My 'private reserve', if you will.

My oldest is about five months old now. :cross:

I've a case of various brews I brewed last January/February still around. So, 10 to 11 months. The first bottle of my mead from last May won't be cracked till next May.

Homebrew I have a couple bottles of stout that I made in around '04.

I also have maybe 4 or 5 7oz bottles of Old Crustacean from when I worked at Rogue in the mid 90s :D

Back